Listening To Fear

Things in the Northman household have been changing drastically, we were told that Mama would only have a few days left, perhaps a month or maybe longer.

It has shook the entire family, Aunt pam was the first one at our side. Roman was on a plane returning from his and Aimee's Spain trip and Kassie is handling things so she could be here, I could really use my cousins right now.

None of us knew what to say, so we just made the best of it.. King Calum told me that he would help make arrangements.

Everyone was being extremely helpful in this devastating time, and I know they were trying but it just wasn't hitting home yet.

Buffy and the others took over the slaying for a while so I could be close to Mama.

"But I told her I'm sure they kill 'em before they take off their feet." Nick said nervously. "Right?"

Mom and I shared a grimace look, shaking our heads at him.

We cuddled up with her watching tv.

"I don't think I can stand to stay in this bed another two days." Mom said sighing. "I feel restless."

"I know we just want you to take it easy." I told her. "Plus we have tons of movies to watch and trashy magazines to read."

"I really don't need you here Vi, I know you've got patrolling to do."

"Not tonight." I told her. "Buffy's got it under control."

----

The next morning Mom was reading Dad's journal it had been awhile since any of us had touched it. Nick was sitting with her sketching and I was tending to the two of them.

I heard the door open, Buffy, Dawn and Willow came in with a large color paper bag.

"Care package!" Willow exclaimed making me smile. "Special delivery for the Northmans!"

She put the bag on the bed next to us. I scooted up beside them.

"Now let's see what I have in this sack on mine." Willow said. "Oh I feel just like Santa Claus, except thinner and younger and female and well, Jewish.'

Mom smiled at her as she reached into the bag.

"This is an extra special gift for your mom, that I know she'll need." She told us pulling it out. "A beer hat! See, i-its got cup holders and a straw that goes directly into your mouth." She turned to Mom. "You can fill it with other stuff than beer like your bloods. and somehow when I was in the store this seemed like the most important idea....and now there's the whole part where I'm crazy."

Nick and I shared a look, smiling.

"It's perfect." Mama told her. "Thank you Willow, you're very sweet, I'm glad to know my children have good friends."

I handed her a cup full of Cheetah, when she grimaced and grabbed at her head. I looked at her concerned.

"Headache?"

"Just a little one." Mom told me smiling, looking at Will. "I'm fine! Go on, what else is in that sack of goodies, Willow?"

"All right, Nick. To keep you busy." Willow said taking out a spell marked Spells and handed it to Nick, who smiled in delight.

"Ooh, spells!" Nick exclaimed. "Thank you Will."

He grabbed it and hurried over to the chair with Dawn following. The two of them sat down and instantly started reading it.

I raised my eyebrow, crossing my arms looking at the girls.

"You got him a book on spells?" I asked making her stop smiling. "A Dhampir....learning how to cast spells?...that's a new one."