Older And Far Away

Standing in the kitchen, I was finishing the dishes and tending to household chores. My music was blasting Evanescence, thinking about things and let out a sigh. My bag was sitting on the counter, almost packed.

'Call my name and save me from the dark'

"Hey." I heard a voice greet and turned seeing Nicky with his backpack, setting it on the counter next to mine. "You okay? thought you had plans with Spike."

"Not tonight, I haven't been feeling all that great" I told him turning the water off and dried my hands, turning my music off. "So since Buffy's gone having a spa day with her mom and Dawn, I'm gonna head to the shop to work on tracking the geek squad down, I can't touch them, but I can still find them and watch Buffy pummel the idiots."

He gave me a look before nodding. 

"Plus planning the menu for Buffy's party." I added heading over to the cupboard to grab one of our cookbooks, packing it in my bag. 

"You're going to use Gregory's?" Nick asked making me nod. 

"Uncle Gregory was the best when it came to party food." I told him. "Grandma took me to visit him and Elijah every summer and he used to make this amazing mozzarella bruschetta with bits of chicken, it reminded me of a cheesy chicken Alfredo, it was really good."  

He nodded.

"You heading out with the V club?" I asked taking my bag and headed into the living room setting my bag on the couch. 

"A little later I was actually asked if I would take Nina's shift so I gotta work." 

"What happened with Nina?" I asked frowning.

"She and Axel have plans." He said following me. "I don't understand how vampires find their mates before we do, why do we have to wait for the big eighteen?"

"Actually, that's a lie we can meet our mate anytime." I told him earning a look. "It normally happens at sixteen depending on the pair of mates and the situation but it would be better if you waited until your eighteen to do all the mating bond stuff." 

"What do you mean?" 

"It has to do with Godric being sixteen when he was turned or so that's what I heard.. some say it's also why Anna never aged" I said grabbing my leather jacket off the couch. "But it's tricky because some mates are born before the other and some die before they get the chance to meet..." 

"But you and Mama didn't find yours until eighteen?" 

"That's not entirely true either." I told him crossing my arms. "I kinda knew Spike was mine the moment I saw him." 

Nick looked at me tilting his head at me. 

 "When I was sixteen, I started having these weird dreams I could never see his face only his eyes." I added sighing. "But when we came face to face, I recognized him instantly, I hated him so much, I refused to accept him and so I moved on started dating Oz but the dreams never stopped, it was such a confusing time."

"So, we dream of them before meeting them?" He asked in confusion. 

"I'm not completely sure. For me it was the dreams, the pain and those sparks. The more I accepted he is my mate the stronger the feeling was and is. It happened to me but that doesn't mean you'll get them." I said shrugging.  "Like I said it's different for each pair." 

"It's weird and creepy, that's what it is." Nick said making me look at him.  "Dreaming of a complete stranger and having to see them every single night and day, that would get boring."

"That's the way mates are Nicky, heck that's what love is" I told him smiling lightly at him. "No one knows why they exist or how they're chosen, they just are, and it's really complicated, someday you'll understand, it's fate we all go through it."