Shadows

Fiddling with my necklace, I was standing in the hospital where I spend a lot of my time but this time it wasn't for a class, my mother had been admitted. Dr. Carlisle Cullen arrived personally to help us out. He would be staying in the area for a while. It made me curious and happy that we had all these connections. While Dr. Russell is one of our vampire doctors, he had gotten a little power hungry. He and Dr. Ursa are our top doctors in this area, but Russell think's he's better than all others and doesn't need to answer to anyone. 

Yes we do have rules we have to follow because we're living in the human world and I do the best I can like bringing Mama here when we could do this at home, such a simple thing but if the humans catch on then it would be bad for all of us. 

 Anyway my grandma first met Carlisle when she was passing through Volterra and stopped to admire the village, they became close friends within minutes the friendship was so deep. He delivered my Mama, aunts and us kids so he was the smart choice when choosing a reliable doctor. He was even kind enough to drop whatever he was doing to run all the way up here just to do this.

Nick was sitting on a chair, reading one of Godric's journals, he's been trying hard to focus on school and his other studies, he stopped fighting me on reading the journals and started getting better.

I sighed looking down at the cans of soda in my hands noticing it was trembling a bit. I shook it off, now wasn't the time to let my emotions drop. I needed to be strong, Nicky needed me. I walked over to him and held a can out. Nick looked up at me, taking it quietly, I sat down and opened my own. I took a small drink.

"So what is a cat scan exactly?" Nick asked. "And will it work on us?"

"It's an X-ray" I told him catching the hint. "They detect bone, and joint problems, like complex bone fractures, tumors and stuff like that but I don't know why they're using it on Mama, that's why Dr. Cullens here."

"He was a close friend of grandma's?"

"Yeah really close." I told him. "Grandma and Grandpa got into a fight once and Grandma left him, that's when she met Carlisle and Esther Lovelace, she's Athena's mother. They were like family despite being from different worlds... they both helped deliver all of the babies in our family including us." 

"That's kinda cool.." He said making me smile, I put my arm around him and hugged him. I felt my arm hurt, I rolled my eyes ignoring it, I sighed getting up looking at the door marked 'examination room' for a moment before I sighed again entering.

"Hi."

Mom and Dr. Cullen turned, I glanced him over my eyes adjusted to the darkened room. I saw a set of CAT scan images stuck on a lighted wall. 

 "May I come in?"

"Oh of course honey." Mama told me. "Uh where's Nick?"

"Uh reading I let him borrow Grandpa's book." I told her giving Dr. Cullen a smile.

"Excuse me Cami." Dr. Cullen said patting Mama's shoulder in a friendly way. "I'm just gonna check on the status of the OR" 

He walked past me, giving me a gentle look and walked out.

"The OR?" I repeated looking at Mom. "I thought Dr. Cullen didn't use human methods."

"He has to follow their laws, the same as we do, it makes it less suspicious " Mama told me. "He says I'm...lucky there's one available on such short notice. Some people wait for days, sometimes, weeks."

"What did they find?" I asked sitting beside her.

"A shadow. I've got a shadow" She said making me frown, I glanced at the scans. "Somewhere...over there...he showed it to me...they have to do a biopsy to find out exactly what is it."