𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

Chapter thirty-two; Doubts about the next steps

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

Remus kept looking at Jasmine, worry settling in him as she didn't respond. Then she shook her head curtly and blinked a couple of times.

''W-what?'' She asked still dazed a bit. ''Uh-yes. Yeah, I'm alright.'' She chuckled and looked away from his face in embarrassment.

It took quite some will power for her to start noticing her surroundings again as she was moments ago completely lost. She looked up and locked eyes with Remus who was smiling down at her. She felt so tiny under his stare and only then noticed that they were standing rather close.

Remus nodded, accepting her answer though he wasn't convinced by it. He motioned with his head to the door and moved away to exit the room. Jasmine followed him as they stepped out to the cold hallway. It was way past curfew but neither of them cared as they took off in the same direction stepping painfully slowly, not wanting to part ways. Their interactions were rare as it was, so every opportunity had to be spent as best as it can.

Jasmine's thoughts ran wild as the two of them walked in comfortable silence. In any case, it was better to be quiet at night, not risking being found by Filch or Mrs Norris. She was thinking about the smell and it was like her eyes opened to the situation. She never thought that there would once be a case where she had to secretly meet up with someone just to talk. The wish to spend more time with Remus was greater than the fear of her father if he found out. Then she thought about it in another perspective.

Remus was willing to hide in order to talk to her. She has never met anyone who would do that, just because they enjoyed her company so much. All her thoughts circled back to the stupid smell and she started wondering what the point of this was. Was Remus really doing it just to be her friend or something more?

They arrived at the main ground where their paths separated, Remus' to the Gryffindor tower, and Jasmine's lower to her Hufflepuff house. They faced each other but still remained silent. Jasmine let out a long sigh through her nose as she hugged herself, getting cold again.

''I should probably head to bed.'' She showed a small smile, even though she really didn't want to leave.

Remus nodded. ''I can walk you to the barrels if you want.'' He offered kindly and was already beginning to turn around.

In Jasmine's head, she was screaming 'yes' but her instincts were different as she again spoke without thinking at all. ''It's okay, I think I can manage by myself.'' She cursed herself as Remus stopped and frowned slightly.

She hated that look on him, she felt like she was disappointing him again and again. She knew he wanted to be nice and offer help but she rudely turned him down. Her eyebrows creased with regret as his smile didn't return.

''If you hear a bloody scream from somewhere on your way, then I'll probably need your help, yeah.'' She chuckled and greatly hoped she fixed the situation at least a little bit.

She smiled as a chuckle escaped Remus. He shook his head not believing she always found a way to bring the conversation back to a funny, positive side. Jasmine was really feeling she was postponing everything and her cue to leave was right there. She looked up from the ground.

''Well, good night. I'll hopefully see you tomorrow.'' She smiled and took a step closer.

Before Remus could answer Jasmine leaned up and pressed a soft kiss to his cheek. Even her mind didn't register what she just did. She leaned back and shared a surprised look with Remus. She smiled sheepishly before she quickly passed by him and walked in a fast pace down the rest of the hall and around the corner.