𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚢-𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

Chapter eighty-four; Let it burn

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

''Jasmine Pearson?''

Jasmine's head picked up while she was trying to store books away in her bag. Professor Smirnitsky was looking directly at her even though he asked loud enough for multiple students to hear.

''Yes?'' She asked, to confirm that was really her, but Smirnitsky seemed to have already known that.

''Would you mind staying behind for a couple of minutes?''

A sudden nervous pulse rang through Jasmine and she had no idea why. She wasn't in trouble, that much she knew but she couldn't control her feelings on the inside. Jasmine looked at Robyn briefly and the girl smiled at her. ''I'll wait for you at the entrance for Herbology.''

Jasmine nodded before she finally managed to cram her enormous book into the bag and sling the bag over her shoulder. She also looked at Remus who was standing by the door as if he was waiting for her and she just helplessly waved at him, hoping he knew she meant to catch up with him later. While the students were exiting the classroom, Jasmine slowly stepped forward to the professor's desk, where he was now sitting on an actual chair behind it. Smirnitsky looked up from some kind of form on parchment and smiled at her.

''Jasmine,'' he repeated her name and looked at her intently. ''I hear you have some catching up to do in this subject.''

Jasmine chuckled nervously and fixed the strap on her book bag. ''Uh, yeah. I didn't have Defence in my sixth year.''

''Why is that?'' Smirnitsky asked curiously.

Jasmine gulped down and debated on what to tell him. His light eyes were boring into her as if he had nothing better to do than wait for her answer. Jasmine averted her eyes to the floor. ''I failed the OWL's in fifth year and decided it was not for me. And quite honestly the last professor kind of sucked.'' After she said it she widened her eyes and pressed a hand to her mouth to keep it shut. She couldn't believe she just said that in front of the new professor.

Smirnitsky laughed wholeheartedly which put a little ease to Jasmine. ''It's okay, I won't tell anyone. But just between us, Dumbledore thought the same.'' Smirnitsky winked at her. ''Now, your head of house Professor Sprout, informed me all about the change, of course, you decided to take as well as your grades thus far.''

Jasmine made a sharp intake of breath and moved her eyes away again in embarrassment. Her grades were never good and she was sure she hadn't made the greatest impression on the new professor, not that she needed to in any way. But maybe if he thought good of her she would more easily pass this class.

Smirnitsky leaned back in his chair, studying Jasmine closely with a small smile. ''I'm not the one to judge, believe me. The grades in other subjects don't matter when it comes to practice and instincts, which is what Defence is all about. You don't need the book knowledge, the only thing you need, and I don't doubt that you have, is cleverness. And for everything else I am here to help. I propose we work out some kind of schedule for extra lessons just so you'll be able to catch up with your classmates. Does that sound okay with you, Jasmine?''

Jasmine stared at him wordlessly for a couple of moments. Then she nodded agreeing to the terms and was happy that for once a professor is going to try and make studying easier for her.

Smirnitsky leaned forward and put his elbows on the desk, still watching Jasmine with a certain curiosity in his eyes. ''One last question and then you're off the hook. What made you take up Defence again?''