𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Chapter fourteen; A howler and a fiery redhead

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹ 

The unpleasant hoots of a bunch of owls travelled throughout the Great Hall. Why unpleasant? Ask Jasmine, she is the only one who thinks like that. Frankly, it was time for morning mail which Jasmine dreaded every single time. Firstly she wasn't a morning person at all, waking up early just wasn't her cup of tea. And it was often possible that her whole day would be ruined by a simple letter from home.

Her eyes glanced upward to the enchanted ceiling and sadly she caught the familiar brown feathers of her family's owl. She followed its wings and it first flew over the Ravenclaw table, stopping beside her cousin. She glanced away not wanting to be caught staring at William, these days everything got the nerve of him and Jasmine didn't want to dig a bigger hole for herself.

She looked in front of her at Robyn whose face only showed gratitude at the received letter. A bit of relief washed through the lighter brunette as her family's owl just kept on lingering at her cousin so herself rather paid attention to Robyn. She observed how Robyn's eyes quickly scanned over the words with a smile.

''Anything new?'' Jasmine inquired, her elbows propped up on the table.

Robyn shrugged slowly before lowering the parchment. ''Nothing special, momma said that the twins are creating even more accidental magic and that she can't wait for them to go to Hogwarts so she can have a rest.''

A smile etched on Jasmine's face at the thought off Robyn's younger brother and sister. Hogwarts is surely gaining some when those two energetic beans come to school in a year. ''Is your mum okay with dealing all magic happenings?'' Another question left Jasmine's lips, a bit of worry in her tone of voice of the poor mother.

She was asking out of politeness and she couldn't wait to see Robyn's family again, as said by them she was welcome any time she wanted. Especially when it became too hectic at home.

''I mean yeah I guess.'' Robyn offered another shrug, hugging the mug in front of her. ''I think she kind of got used to it ever since she had me. I mean she did marry a wizard, papa must've explained it to her what she's getting herself into.'' Both of them shared a short laugh.

Now Jasmine really couldn't wait to see them all again, remembering the fun and warm family talks by dinner with all members included. Her eyes slid a little off Robyn and pure horror washed her face.

''Oh no.'' She muttered in a low voice as her widened eyes trailed after the brown owl now flapping her way to the Hufflepuff table.

Robyn smiled sympathetically as the owl dropped whatever it was carrying in its beak. Jasmine eyed the odd red envelope before a gasp emitted her and she clamped her hand over the letter pressing it hardly down to the table. She felt it move a bit under her hand but she pressed it even harder.

''It's a howler!'' Jasmine hissed and with fear in the eyes looked across to her best friend.

''You've never got a howler before.'' Robyn's tone imitated the fear as well.

Jasmine knew it's going to open up itself eventually though the longer she tried to postpone that the better. Her head snapped back to where her cousin was and she found him already looking at her, with corners of his lips turned up. He got a few of his friends to watch as well and Jasmine could only glare their way.

If Jasmine got a normal letter she definitely wouldn't open it right away, she just had to bear in mind she had to during the day. Because if her father didn't get the answer back by next day, all hell would break loose and Jasmine learned quickly from mistakes. The letter under her hand suddenly slipped away and it flew to hovering over the middle of the table. It opened up and Jasmine had to take a few deep breaths to prepare herself for it.