𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Chapter sixteen; Not an open book

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹ 

One hand was fiddling with the quill in his hands while the other was propping his head on the palm. A blank piece of parchment laid on the table between his hands and a book was opened not far off. Remus was left alone to fulfil his wish to study more, which all his friends gladly respected. In fact, he was more than happy that each of them was busy on their own so they wouldn't disrupt him and come announced for another mischief. James was having his Quidditch practice, while the other two didn't really disclose the details of their plans, they just disappeared suddenly.

Back to Remus' wish to complete his essay for Potions in the Study Hall, it appeared a rather hard task to do. While his intentions were in the right place his mind was nowhere near the work at hand. He closed his eyes and sighed before lifting his head and glancing around. Younger students occupied other tables usually in groups or pairs yet he found himself sitting alone. Letting another deep breath past his lips he shook his head with means to clear his mind.

His eyes again travelled across the room when he spotted a familiar figure walking about. He chewed on the inside of his cheek in doubt if he should call her over. If he would then he was certain that the essay will have to be finished later in the evening. And he'll be without sleep yet again. Before he could stop the dilemma in his head she spotted him across the room and neared his table.

''Hi, Lily.'' Remus put away the quill and closed the book knowing he had no use of it anymore.

The redhead smiled brightly as she sat down across from him and lowered her book bag on the floor. ''Hey, how are you?''

Remus observed as she remained still not bringing any study literature up for revising. Her hands clasped together on the top of the table and she continued to watch him intently and waited for his answer.

''Not feeling very productive.'' He answered and motioned with his hands over the blank parchment.

A soft chuckle escaped Lily and Remus joined in the laugh as well. Both fell silent for a moment and Remus put the parchment into his bag while he tried to come up with something to talk to. Then a question popped up in his mind, one he has been wondering for at least a week. ''Have you by chance seen Jasmine anywhere?''

Lily straightened up at the question, the corners of her lips turning upwards. ''She was with me before I came here, then she hurried off to class.'' The fact that he was asking about the Hufflepuff interested her and she couldn't help but etch some tease into her next question. ''Why?''

Remus visibly sloped in his chair, not liking the answer he was given. His expression changed from bored to sad back to trying to hide whatever he was thinking. Lily quickly dropped the teasing and leaned more forward asking the same question again.

''Is she avoiding me?'' Remus asked and the question took Lily by surprise. Remus raised his eyes from his hands to the girl in front of him. ''Be honest please.''

Lily leaned back contemplating the question, not knowing where it was coming from. She drew her eyebrows together in thought before clearing her throat. ''No? Jasmine wouldn't do that,'' Lily explained with utmost certainty. That quickly diminished as she received a flat look from Remus.

He sighed and dropped the look before turning serious, not letting emotion into his talking. ''Then why did she say she has class when I was supposed to help her study right this moment?''

Lily widened her eyes for a second as she took the information in. She couldn't believe it herself, as far as she knew Jasmine rarely lied and now she lied to two people at the same time. ''I know Jasmine pretty well but I have no idea why she would avoid you. I mean I thought you two were friends. Good ones too. There must be some reason behind it, she wouldn't do it out of spite.'' Lily tried to reason the situation, her voice becoming soft.