𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚢-𝚘𝚗𝚎

Chapter ninety-one; Never ending secrets

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

Jasmine yawned with a cup of tea in her hands, enjoying the morning chatter of the Great Hall. A discarded letter was laying on the table beside her arms containing angry-looking scribbles as if the person didn't have time to sit down and calmly write the letter. It was from her dad and while Jasmine expected an outrage from him, telling her that he divorced her mother and anything threatening, he said absolutely nothing. The letter read just the usual 'behave yourself' and 'see you at Christmas', he even went so far as to say her mum was okay. It oddly smelled like he was trying to cover up that his wife left him, Jasmine guessed he was lying to all purebloods out there too.

It sent a wave of relief through her body at the thought of her mum being far away from England by now. The memory of her mum made Jasmine bring out the picture she stole from Mrs Pearson's jewellery box. The family smiled at her just like they did every time she studied the picture.

''Any luck?'' Sirius gently bumped her shoulder to capture her attention.

Jasmine shrugged but didn't look at him. ''The more I look at it the stranger it gets. Because, look'' she pointed at the mum of the family, ''she looks kind of like my mum but something feels off.''

Sirius leaned over and checked the picture again. ''She does yeah. Have you thought about this actually being your mum?''

Jasmine squirmed and a frown etched itself on her face. ''Then who would these three be? A secret family that she has been hiding and they live in some foreign country?'' Her voice hinted at the ridiculousness of the questions she spoke.

''Or they died, what do you know.'' James butted in from across the Gryffindor table. When Jasmine narrowed her eyes at him he hurried to explain. ''Maybe she had a family, they died tragically and then she married your dad and hid her past because it hurt too much? Just a theory.''

''My mum was twenty when she had me.'' Jasmine quickly shut that theory down.

''What if she's lying about her age too?'' Peter asked.

''Okay, enough.'' Remus stopped the whole conversation before Jasmine would murder someone for saying stupid things.

He wanted to take the picture out of her hands too but over the past months, it became a sacred thing to her so no one was allowed to touch it. She also took it everywhere with her and it either acted as her good luck charm or stress reliever. After Jasmine stored the photo away in her pocket she smiled appreciatively at him and Remus wrapped his arm around her for comfort.

All their attention was captured soon by Lily who sat down next to James. Suddenly the most difficult task in the world became how to hide the chuckles and not burst out laughing. ''Did you have fun in the Forest last night?'' Sirius couldn't help himself.

Lily sent him a death glare before she focused on putting food in her. Her hair was a total mess, big bags under her eyes since she had to be up all night and doing the Defence task, she looked like she had been to hell and back.

''What happened? Did you see any trolls or giants?'' James asked.

''I think it would have been less scary to see something giant, easy to spot in the distance but no, there were no trolls,'' Lily grumbled and sipped her coffee, desperately in need of it.

''What was it then?'' Jasmine was beyond curious as her weekend of spending the night in the Forest was coming up too. Everyone subtly leaned closer eager to hear Lily's answer.