𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚢-𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Chapter eighty-seven; Something doesn't feel right

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

A loud high pitched whistle boomed off the walls in the Defence classroom. Nearly all the students widened their eyes and looked up front at professor Smirnitsky who was holding two fingers near his lips, whistling, but stopped once he got their attention. After the constant murmurs stopped he put his hands on his hips like an irritated mum who needed to scold her own kids.

''I am aware of the upcoming Halloween ball that everyone is so excited about and that clearly you have to chat about it even in class.'' He sighed and sized up all students sitting in front of him. ''But please, pay attention for mere five minutes. That's all I ask for.''

Jasmine looked to her right at Robyn who was earlier talking her ear off about a dress she wants to wear to the ball. The light brunette held an unimpressed look on her features. Usually, she would be all for missing out on what has been going on in a certain class, but she was enjoying Smirnitsky's Defence lessons. So staying quiet and listening to him became a fun learning experience, though most students were in a frenzy this week because of the ball.

Smirnitsky cleared his throat. ''In November and December, I will be conducting a little task for all of you to complete. You will be paired into twos and every weekend night a different pair will go out and walk their way through the Forbidden Forest. For the whole night.''

The class collectively gasped and some looked at each other with shocked faces. A few complaints already sounded. Defence was probably the only class that people were allowed to freely state their opinion without raising their hands and that's why there was a jumble of words coming from all ways in the classroom.

''Calm down,'' Smirnitsky raised his hand. ''Nothing to fret. The project was approved by Dumbledore, despite his constant warns and 'Forbidden Forest is off limits' speeches. That is still true, you are not allowed anywhere near it apart from the night you are assigned to do so. If it calms you down in any way, I am sacrificing my weekend's sleep for the next two months to monitor all of you and make sure you don't die out there.''

The murmurs stopped and even a chuckle sounded from somewhere. Robyn and Jasmine looked at each other again, already having a mental conversation that they will be each other's partners for this job. The assignment still didn't sound good, it was basically end of the earth terrifying, but in student's minds, it would be easier to complete with a friend.

And then Smirnitsky spoke again, ruining all the fun that came along with this task. ''I will announce the pairs in the next lesson.'' Now everyone groaned. ''Class dismissed.''

''The Forbidden Forest!? Is he absolutely insane?'' Lily complained as Jasmine and Robyn stood up and turned around.

''He'll be there the whole time and you just have to walk through it, evade possible dangers along the way.'' Remus tried to reason. Of course, he would think nothing major of the task.

''For all I know all you lot have done this tons of times already without anyone knowing?'' Lily glanced accusingly at him and then turned around to the rest of the Marauders. They just shared a quiet chuckle while simultaneously shaking their heads.

Jasmine raised her eyebrows at Remus once he stopped chuckling. ''Have you?''

Ever so slightly he shook his head, but in a way, so Lily wouldn't see. The guys still didn't look as shaken about this as the girls did and they had no intention of explaining why. Jasmine didn't even want to imagine the horrors they are going through once a month during the full moon, which is probably the reason for their confidence.