𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

Chapter eighty-two; New year, new changes

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

The Great Hall was illuminated by floating candles just below the dark sky that was littered with thousands of stars everywhere someone looked. A great deal of murmur was going through the vast space as students were all hyped up for the new school year at Hogwarts, some more than others. The four tables, representing each of the houses were equally three-quarters full, having a few seats empty in the middle for the first years that have yet to be sorted. Speaking of the sorting, the group of first years just came in through the door following McGonagall, who was leading them up to the stool where the Sorting Hat was.

Jasmine glanced at Robyn, who was sitting opposite her at the Hufflepuff table as the custom of the first feast of the year was. The students all sat at the table of their respective houses, only during the actual school year they mixed and sat elsewhere, depending on who their friends were. Some students never left their house table at all. Robyn was nervously shaking her leg under the table as her eyes kept flickering all over the group of new students. Jasmine reached forward and clasped her hand, which made Robyn look at her with slight panic in her eyes.

''They'll be fine, don't worry.'' Jasmine tried to call her down.

Her green eyes moved to the sorting as well as she searched out the two tops of curly hair amongst the young ones. Viv and Leo were not so patiently waiting for their turn to be sorted and they seemed to engage everyone around them in conversation as students kept clapping when someone was sorted into their house.

Robyn held tighter on Jasmine's hand, making the knuckles on her hand whiten. ''I don't know. What if they get sorted into different houses? I don't care which house the hat places them in as long as they are together. They do everything together and I can't imagine what consequences will come if they are pulled apart.''

Jasmine frowned and devoted her full attention to her best friend across the table. ''They surely wouldn't be put in different houses if they are attached to each other's hip all the time.''

Robyn shrugged. ''If you look at each other individually, they do have different characteristics. Viv is the one who is loud and causes more trouble, though I've seen her mature in the past year too and she's too confident for her own good. She isn't afraid of anything, even our mama with her spatula. On the other hand, Leo is smart, way smarter than Viv but he usually follows her lead, he likes to make jokes but only when he's sure someone is listening and will laugh at him. Though when he's confronted about anything he rather stays quiet than dig himself a deeper hole.''

Jasmine nodded along with everything that Robyn said. She could see the potential of both of them in different houses but they weren't so different after all. As she thought about different possibilities, Robyn's striking eyes caught her, fear swirling in her irises. ''What do you think?''

Jasmine chuckled softly to ease the tension a little. ''They definitely won't be Hufflepuff if that's what scares you, but I guess we're about to find out.''

Just as Jasmine stopped talking, McGonagall's voice rang through the Great Hall as she said, ''Dixon, Leonardo.'' Jasmine and Robyn stared at the front of the Great Hall as Leo made it through the group and sat on the stool before the professor put the hat on his head. A few moments of anticipation and quiet murmuring of the hat later it shouted ''Gryffindor!''

A loud set of cheers erupted from the red table as Leo took off in the direction of the empty seats. Viv was up next when McGonagall called out her full name. Jasmine didn't want to wince from the amount of pain shooting up her hand because of how hard Robyn was squeezing her.