𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Chapter forty-eight; The breaking point

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

''Come on it's not that hard.'' Lily disclosed.

She was sitting in the Study Hall opposite a very irritated looking Jasmine. It was again one of Lily's attempts at making Jasmine's grades a bit better not just the ones that barely made her pass her exams. And Jasmine was not up for it. Studying with Remus was a whole other thing than studying with Lily. Remus was nice and he understood when Jasmine had too much for her brain to function properly. Lily was just a pusher, she wanted everything done in a day and she was nagging Jasmine for it. So now Jasmine refused to do anything getting really annoyed by Lily's ways. She crossed her arms in front of her and slid down her chair with a sour face. Lily narrowed her eyes angrily at her best friend and mimicked crossing her arms.

''I'm just trying to help,'' Lily said clearly annoyed now as well.

''Well you're not helping, I'm fine with my grades I'm not wishing to get E's in everything.'' Jasmine scoffed and looked at the table in front of her.

Lily sensed she was mocking her but she was not having with the Hufflepuff's attitude right now. She stayed quiet nonetheless and focused back on one of her essays she had to finish. In a matter of minutes, Jasmine's eyes started drooping as the lack of sleep started getting to her. Maybe staying up during the night wasn't the healthiest lifestyle but Jasmine had no will power over that. She just hoped that one day Remus and she will get to be together without having to hide all the time.

And speaking of the devil and he shall appear. ''Hey.''

Jasmine opened her eyes immediately as Remus appeared next to Lily and sat down. Jasmine offered him a brief smile before she went back to her moody self. Lily greeted Remus back as he started bringing up supplies to study for. He also placed a novel on the desk which immediately caught Lily's eye. She flickered her eyes to the book and back again to her essay. The questions were just eating her up inside.

''Where did you get that?'' She then suddenly asked.

Jasmine started paying attention and saw Lily point at the book on the table in front of Remus. He picked up Crime and Punishment and smiled. ''I got it for my birthday.'' He offered the book to her.

Jasmine tried to act disinterested and looked sideways across the Study Hall. She clearly tried to wipe off the smile or at least hide it with her hand. It was the book she got for him and she knew it was the book Lily so fondly spoke to her about. That fact wasn't important but Remus was overjoyed to receive it and he immediately stated her never read it before.

Lily tenderly grabbed the new book as if she was afraid it would crack under her fingers. She gawked at it and the beautiful quality of the book. She gently grabbed the cover and turned it over to read the first page. That's when horror settled into Jasmine. The Hufflepuff spared a quick look at Remus who was by now also nervously looking over Lily's shoulder at his book. There was no way she's going to miss what was written in ink on the first page.

Lily first whispered to herself and furrowed her eyebrows. Then she picked up her head and looked directly at Remus. ''J.P.?''

Jasmine clenched her fists under the table so hard that her nails made an imprint in her palms. Remus looked at the book acting as if he forgot that Jasmine signed the book, thankfully only with her initials. He chuckled nervously.

''U-uh yeah. It was from Prongs.'' He said quickly and then looked away and down to his notes on the table.

Jasmine let out an inaudible sigh of relief. James Potter. J.P. Who would've thought she would ever have the luck of having the same initials as of one of Remus' best friends. Lily moved her eyes to Jasmine, and the girl quickly put a frown back on her face as of result of her previous mood. Lily reluctantly accepted the answer of Remus with a small smile before she focused back on the book. At first, she thought it could be from that girl Remus was snogging in the library, but hearing it's from James shocked her in a good way. Jasmine and Remus locked eyes with emotions a mixture of happiness and anxiety.