𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚢-𝚜𝚒𝚡

Chapter eighty-six; Kitchens counselling

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

The calmness of the dimly lit kitchen felt nice as Jasmine sat on the countertop and watched the oven heat her pastry. It seemed so long ago that she took her time to come down here and bake something just for the sake of it. Not because anyone asked her to or because she wanted to give it to someone, but she baked for herself. It seemed that chocolate became a persistent ingredient in her pastries and she couldn't wait to taste the puffy cakes with fresh strawberries and pieces of chocolate. She smiled at the combination as it brought back a peaceful memory of her and Remus.

''It's been a while, huh?''

Jasmine jerked her head up and squinted her eyes to make out a figure that was coming to the lit up part of the kitchens. The knowing smile on Sirius was clear as he stepped into the light and Jasmine didn't hesitate to return that smile. It really has been a while since she spent time with Sirius awake at night. This would be the first time in their seventh year.

''What keeps you up so late?'' He asked casually and sat on the opposite counter, facing her.

Jasmine looked down at her watch and noted the hour hand just passing one in the morning. She let out a sigh and looked at Sirius. ''Lots of things. I feel like we barely started the school year and there's so much going on. Private Defence lessons with Smirnitsky, Halloween preparations, everything going on with Remus and then there's prefect duties which I would most like to neglect. Not to mention the horrors spreading through the hallways and threats and the stupid blood status idiots. I don't even want to talk about family, everything is so confusing and I'm clueless and constantly worrying.'' She rambled without thinking. ''Sorry, didn't mean to lay it all on you like that.'' She smiled apologetically at Sirius.

He shrugged and gave her a look as if to say it's okay. ''That's why we're here, right? To talk about our problems?''

Both of them chuckled at how it all started exactly a year ago. ''What keeps you out of bed?'' Jasmine asked curiously.

Sirius averted his eyes to his hands and went quiet for a few moments. It looked like he recomposed himself and put on his familiar smile as if to mask a certain emotion off his face. ''I sensed something would be wrong.'' The sentence was vague but then he brought the Marauder's map out of his back pocket.

Jasmine knew that's the way he found her, but it still didn't explain as to why he was awake. She didn't press on that matter but rather changed the subject. ''Do you already know who you're going to the Halloween ball with?''

Sirius scoffed. ''I'm not going with anyone. Well, I am going with you guys as friends but I'm not going with a date. This whole thing about asking somebody to be your night's dance partner that Lily came up with is stupid if you ask me.''

Jasmine chuckled at him. Who thought that out of all people Sirius would hate that idea. ''I think it's rather nice and it's adorable to watch people ask each other to go to the dance with them. If I count out the ones that have been rejected.'' She winced a little feeling bad for those.

''I'm guessing Remus already asked you.'' Sirius mused.

Jasmine shook her head but couldn't keep a smile off her face for long. ''No, actually I asked him. Felt nice for a change and I got him to blush, which happens rarely.'' Sirius laughed at the thought of a blushing Remus. ''And besides, if you go with someone it doesn't mean you have to cling to them for the whole night. You can dance with other people.''

Sirius nodded slowly, thinking about it. His glance raised from the floor to look at Jasmine. ''Well, then you better save me one dance on Halloween.''