𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚢-𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

Chapter ninety-four; Heightened senses

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

Jasmine could see her own breath in the cold night illuminated by Smirnitsky's wand that cast Lumos. She checked if she had her wand in the pocket, fixed the scarf tightly around her neck and nervously fiddled with her fingers. Smirnitsky and she were standing at Hagrid's hut where every student so far has entered the Forest.

''Nervous?'' The professor asked.

Jasmine looked up and in the white light of the wand saw the corners of his lips turned up in a calm smile. ''Is that even a question?'' She shuddered and didn't know if it was from the cold or fear.

''You have nothing to worry about, Jasmine.'' His voice was quiet in the night. ''I've seen you build your capabilities for months now and I can assure you that you are skilful enough with your magic to pass your exam. There are a few things we still have to touch on in Defence but you're not going to need them tonight.''

Jasmine smiled despite her nerves. ''Thank you, professor.''

''Anytime. Now, where is Sirius? If he won't show up I can't send you in alone.'' Smirnitsky looked around.

Jasmine cursed in her head. Why didn't they think of that? If he would never have shown up they would be out of the assignment easily. Well, maybe with some consequences and Smirnitsky's disappointment but still it would be much more convenient.

''He'll probably be here soon.'' Jasmine also looked around.

She knew exactly where he was and why it was taking him such a long time to get here. Around the time of speaking, he was walking with James, Peter and Remus to the Whomping Willow to make sure the three of them safely got to the Shrieking Shack. He also made sure Remus couldn't escape in hopes that James and Peter alone in their Animagi form can keep him at bay. Jasmine's mind was awakened when another figure appeared in the wand light.

''Hi! Sorry, I'm late!'' Sirius breathed out loudly as if he had just run there. Which he probably did.

''Alright! Let's go!'' Smirnitsky turned around and started walking to the edge of the forest. He led the way as the other two trailed a little further back behind him, getting lost in the darkness of the night, professor's lighted wand not reaching them anymore.

Jasmine grabbed Sirius's arms and pulled him closer. ''How's Remus? You made sure he'll get through the night alright?'' She looked to her left barely seeing Sirius' face.

''He'll be fine. God, what is with you two, just before I left the Shrieking Shack he death threatened me to take care of you for this task.'' Sirius shook his head in a disbelieving way.

Jasmine looked away, a small blush tinting her cheeks. ''What if anything goes wrong?'' She couldn't help but worry.

Sirius lowered his voice to a whisper so the professor won't hear them. ''They'll manage, it's just one night.''

''Okay, Sirius and Jasmine. Let's go over the rules one more time really quick.'' Smirnitsky turned around and the pair realised they were at the edge of the Forest. Jasmine let go of Sirius' arm and grabbed her wand instinctively.

''This is your starting point, it is also where I will be stationed the whole night. You don't need to walk for the whole night but the deeper in the Forest you go, the higher the grade. If you stick to the outskirts you automatically fail. I'll be on the watch at all times and will come to the rescue if the danger will be serious. If you need any other help shoot red sparks up in the air with your wand and help will come in a matter of minutes. When dawn comes you can walk to the edge of the Forest as your assignment will be finished. Now, remember, this is totally safe and look forward to a free day tomorrow. In you go.'' Smirnitsky smiled and gestured with his arm inside the Forest.