𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚢

Chapter eighty-nine; Slow dancing

▴ ◃ ▾ ▹

Remus' head shot up and for a mere second his eyes became wider. Once he saw he's not in trouble and it's only Jasmine standing a little away from him, his shock diminished. But then a new kind of shock crashed through his body and he closed the book without checking which page he stayed on. His body became rigid and his lips opened and closed a few times.

''Hi,'' he barely choked out.

Then his eyes travelled from Jasmine's eyes lower down her body. Her usual straight light brown hair was now slightly curly and flowed just past her shoulders, going exceptionally well with the jet black dress she wore. All thoughts suddenly evaporated from his mind and only one single word stayed the longer he looked at her. Beautiful. If they stayed still fur much longer, he would have to check that he isn't dreaming.

''Why are you looking at me like that?'' Jasmine asked with a funny voice, yet she couldn't keep the blush from coming to her cheeks.

Remus dropped the book on the floor and in a slow-motion fashion stood up, eyes not moving off of her for even a split millisecond. ''Because you look beautiful.'' Finally, his mind came to the senses for speaking.

Jasmine pressed her pink lips together to suppress the smile and looked away from him bashfully. She then let her eyes wander from Remus' shoes up to his figure, to his handsome face. The classy white shirt and black suit were doing wonders on him, completed with a skinny black tie. She took a tentative step forward, putting one foot right in front of the other.

Her smile was gone and worry creased her features now. ''What were you doing here reading a book all by yourself?''

Remus had to shake his thoughts a little to stop staring at her like a love-sick puppy. ''Hiding.'' He answered honestly. ''Needed some peace to think.''

''What were you thinking about?'' Jasmine stepped even closer.

Remus let out a long breath, catching her eyes and holding her glance as long as possible. ''Us.''

Jasmine frowned momentarily because they were thinking the same thing. She offered him her hand and after he took a hold of her he pulled her closer. A soft gasp emitted Jasmine's lips and she nearly stumbled over her feet, not used to wearing high heels. Luckily Remus was there to catch her by the waist and pull her even closer. Soft smiles adored both their faces as they missed the touch of each other.

''I just couldn't go down there and pretend everything's alright with us. Not with everyone watching. We've changed, I guess, that's what my conclusion was.'' Remus said quietly.

Jasmine nodded, wrapping her arms behind his neck. ''We have. But that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. We feel pressured, but we shouldn't be. We put other things as our priorities and forgot about each other which was wrong, but not so it couldn't be fixed.''

''I'm sorry.'' Remus pouted.

''I'm sorry too,'' Jasmine replied. ''I feel like the transition of having a secret relationship to then everyone knowing about it went too fast and we couldn't get accustomed.''

''Are you saying it was a bad idea?'' Remus asked with worry.

''No, no. Definitely not.'' Jasmine shook her head. ''It was the best idea ever made. All the breakfasts I had to suffer through last year sitting beside you and not touch you or talk to you were excruciating. It feels liberating to hold your hand as we walk down the halls.''

''It does feel good, doesn't it? I can show everyone that you're taken.'' Remus squeezed her waist protruding a giggle to escape her mouth.

Once she stopped she looked around them with a soft smile. ''But I also miss this. Just us in the quiet of the library or the kitchens. Without onlookers or our friends.''