61.

"How does Astronomy Tower sound?" Sirius asked a very distracted Juli

She was trying to focus on anything but Sirius and cleared her head. Dumbledore had asked  her to practice occlumency and she had to get ahold of her emotions. Sirius swung their intertwined hands to get her attention. "Yeah -- er Black Lake sounds good." She nodded absent mindedly.

"No," He chuckled lightly.  "I suggested the Astronomy Tower. Star Gazing?"

"First day back and already breaking the curfew? The Black Lake, please?"

"Well, what's life without a little risk?" He winked. "But your wish is my command. The Black Lake it is. I'll make the arrangements. See you in 15 minutes." He kissed the back of her hand and left towards the Black Lake.

She couldn't end it where it had all started. She remembered the night in second year as fresh as yesterday. It was when she had realized that Sirius had a soft side and cared for his brother deeply. It was on that night on the Astronomy Tower that he had confided in her about something personal and she had felt closer to him. She couldn't taint that place for either of them. 

But she had to. She had to make it as believable and brutal as possible. "Hey, Sirius?" She called out after him. "On second thought, the Tower it is!"

He gave her a thumbs up and walked out the common room, probably to the kitchen.

She checked the time and realized that everyone would be back from dinner. She ran up to her empty dorm and pulling out a parchment, started scribbling.

"Dear Reggie,

How are you? I wanted to say how sorry I am for the way I have acted the past few weeks. How I have failed to see the truth. The truth that I am indeed better than others around me. My blood does that and I am grateful. I have now realized that associating myself with halfbloods and mudbloods was wrong. I'll make sure that I take care of it."

She paused to calm herself. She had never called Lily that word and she never wanted to. But she had to. A part of her was glad that Regulus didn't know about her being adopted and a halfblood. She then apologized for something she shouldn't have and she knew it.

"Can you please tell Mulciber that I apologize for getting him expelled and I will make up for it. I would have broken up with Sirius by the time you get this. We both know it was a big mistake.

Thank you for being my one true friend all these years. You are the only one who never pulled me back, unlike my blood traitor brother and my supposed friends.

I hope I get your friendship back.
Love,
Juli."

It broke her heart calling her own brother that. It didn't sound like her. She wanted to do it eventually but she knew she would break if it wasn't done soon. Bracing herself for what was to come, she rolled the parchment and carried it downstairs, where everyone could see it. She didn't want to use Regulus' name as an excuse but he was never going to see it.

Placing it on the table in front of the fire and their usual seats, she mentally apologized to her friends and left for the Astronomy Tower.

She met Remus and James on the way but didn't pause to talk, she just gave them a disgusted look, the one she gave to bigots and blood supremacists. She didn't even look back to see their reaction and went up the Astronomy Tower. Her letter would say the things she never believed in.

Her heart dropped to her stomach  when she saw the picnic blanket, sandwiches and floating candles. Sirius was casually leaning down on the edge and turned around when he heard her.

She shivered slightly in the cold air and he instantly made his way to her, removing his jacket. Just as he was about drape it on her shoulders, she pushed his hands away roughly. "It's fine. Don't need it."

He looked her in confusion but backed away. "Now that you are here, I have something for you." He smiled. His genuine, heart warming, all-is-right-in-the-word-smile.

When Juli didn't react, he sighed to himself and got down on his knee, pulling out a box with a beautiful, black, velvet colour.

Her eyes went as wide as saucers, heart hammering against her chest. "Sirius...What are you doing?" She asked.

"Relax..." He said. He opened the it and in the box was a ring. It was a simple, silver, band but looked beautiful. "It is a promise ring."

"I love you a lot and I wish to know if you, Juliette Potter," He started. "Will accept this ring as a token of my love and a promise of forever?" He looked at her hopefully. 

She blinked back her tears and inhaled deeply, mentally cursing and hating herself for her next actions and words. "You need to stop." She said, a look of feigned fury on her face.

"I - what?" He said, not being able to place her anger.

"I said you need to stop." She repeated.

He stood up and placed closing the box, put it back in his pocket. "Stop what, love?"

"This... Everything... The I love yous and calling me love... This was not a date. I don't love you. Never did. I only thought I did."

"But I- I don't understand." He said, his usual happiness gone from his face. "Are you breaking up with me? We - we were fine on New Year and you wanted to take the next step but now all of a sudden -"

"I was drunk, remember? And I was trying to save us from this, but I can't lie to myself anymore. The truth is that we were a mistake and this," she pointed at Sirius and herself, "Never should have happened."

"Don't do this..." He pleaded, eyes filled with tears. "I know something is wrong. You would never say this. Please tell me. We can figure it out together, I promise -"

"Please stop!" She couldn't see him like this. She didn't know how much longer she could lie to him and he knew her. So she went there. "Just stop making promises. Your family was right. You are a blood traitor and a disgrace. You should have been proud to be a Black but all you have done is taint that name. You don't deserve to belong to the Ancient and Noble House of Black. You should be ashamed of yourself."

She observed Sirius' face. He looked broken... He felt broken.

"N - No. You - you don't mean that. Juliette please. Juli..." His voice cracked and tears rolled down as his he fell down to his knees.

She turned around to leave, knowing that she won't be able to if she looked at him again. "I do. It is the truth. The sooner you accept it, the better. Me and you, we are done. Stay away from me."