62.

Her heart felt out of place

Her heart felt out of place. In fact, her whole body did. She had never in her wildest dreams imagined that she would have to do this. Juliette Potter hated Lord Voldemort with a burning passion and blamed him for what had happened.

She was scared but couldn't wait to move on to the next part of Dumbledore's plan. Even if it meant talking to people like Avery, Mulciber and Bellatrix.

After roaming the caste for hours and trying to clear her head, she returned to the common room.

Juli froze when she saw her friends waiting for her. It was well past midnight and none of them were asleep. She had momentarily forgotten about her fake letter and the problems that she was hoping would follow.

"Sirius came back a few hours back. Saw the letter in my hand with your handwriting and read it." James said, staring into the fire, not sparing her even a glance. "Didn't stop, didn't look at us, didn't talk, seemed he was crying."

She swallowed and kept her head high, not showing any emotions. "And?"

"We would have asked him what was wrong but your letter to his brother pretty much did the job." His voice was eerily calm and she hated it. She wanted him to shout, to scold her, to tell her he hated her but he just sat there with his annoyingly calm voice.

"Okay, and?" She said, tapping her foot to show that she was running out of patience to talk.

"You were the last person I expected this from." Remus said in a sad voice. It was then her eyes finally fell on him. He was sitting between a tired Peter and a very upset Lily.

Juli wanted to throw her arms around him and tell her how sorry she was, but she couldn't.

"Where did you find the letter?" She said.

"Excuse me?" Lily asked in disbelief.

"The letter. It was not meant for any of you. Do you not know what privacy is?"

"How can you even say that? You were supposed to be our friend!" She exclaimed.

"Please Lily." Juli scoffed. "You and I both know we stopped being friends since that day in Hogsmeade. Where did you even find the letter? Were you snooping around in my trunk?!"

"Juli..." She heard a kind voice and saw Allison on the stairs.

"Alli stay out of it." She ordered. "Now that you have read the letter, I won't be wasting my time repeating it. The bottom line is that I am done talking to you. I need to keep my distance because I cannot taint my blood. Not anymore."

"Blood? You are talking about blood?" James said, as he finally looked up and made his way towards her.

"Yes, James. Blood. What are you going to do about it? Tell Mulicber? Go ahead. I dare you."

A part of her desperately hoped that he told the Slytherins about her adoption and her façade would come to an end. That way, she could apologize to everyone and then go back to Sirius, asking him for forgiveness. Begging him, if needed.

Without another word, James turned around and began walking away. She couldn't take this any longer.

"James! Jamie..." She said, her voice breaking.

He stopped in his tracks and Juli realized what she had done in a moment of weakness. Thinking quickly, she went and stood in front of him. She then placed her hand on his arm, her eyes devoid of any emotion, while his searched for answers. "You need to realize this, too and stay away from them. You need to understand the status your blood gives for you. Trust me."

He violently removed her hand. "They are my friends and you know it. I can't do that."

"They are mudbloods and filthy half breeds!"

"You disgust me." He said and walked away, slamming the door. 

Followed by Peter and Remus who didn't look at her either.

Lily sighed deeply and went back to their dorm. Juli could hear her sniffle and hold back a sob but she had to restrain herself. She did the same thing which Snape had done, maybe even worse and had to live with that.

She now had to figure out how to get in the good graces of the people she loathed. The ones who had given her and her friends a difficult time. Then she had to talk to Regulus and keep the drama up. But before that, she needed to have a word with Dumbledore and discuss what needed to be done next.

"Er, Juli?" Allison said, snapping her out of her thoughts. "James gave the letter to Black. Thought you should know."

"Sirius took it with him?" She asked. She didn't want Sirius reading it over and over again. It would break his heart. He needed her just as much as she needed him, maybe more. They were each other's safe place. But in a matter of hours, she had given everything up.

"Um, no. His brother. Regulus."