49.

"You're going to what?!" Remus shouted, drawing attention to himself.

"Ask her out." It was Lily who replied flatly with a straight face. "That's great for you, Potter." She smiled at him. The dazzling Lily Evans smile which made James swoon.

But not this time. No. He couldn't show it. He had to move on. He couldn't wreck their friendship. It was far too precious to be ruined by declarations of love.

He hadn't asked her out even once since the year started. He had started studying, pranking less and acting more mature. No one had failed to notice this.

"Well, er - yeah. I'll get going then. We have the pitch booked for practice. See you there, Pads." James said, standing up awkwardly. He glanced at Lily one last time and left.

Everyone looked at Lily sympathetically.

"Why are you all looking at me like that? You know I don't care, right?" She said, her smile instantly fading.

"Lils it's us. You don't have to pretend." Remus said calmly.

"Pretend what? It's not like I have feelings for him. He's an arrogant toe rag. Remember? I hate him." Her voice suddenly became high pitched. "If you think that I care, you need to get a perspective. Because I don't. I don't care about who he dates or him." She then noticed everyone staring at her. She took a deep breath to calm herself "I need to talk to Professor Slughorn. See you later." She grabbed her books and went up back to her dorm.

"I thought Professor Slughorn's class was out the door, Lils!" Sirius called.

Lily looked like she hadn't heard and if she had, she didn't show it.

"I am going to have a word with Potter." Remus said, getting up.

"Remind him of the whining he did till 3 AM about her and didn't let us sleep." Sirius told him.

Juli looked at them apprehensively. "Why would you do that? Trying to talk him out of it?"

They looked at her as if saying duh what else?

"I don't think so." She said fiercely as she got up. "James has been pining after her for 5 years now. His methods were wrong but be has been hurt. He deserves a chance to move on."

"But - but she finally likes him back. She just won't admit it." Sirius defended.

"That's her fault, isn't it?" She retorted.

The boys recoiled slightly at her tone.

"Listen to me," she said. "I love both of them. A lot. But I have seen James getting upset over her. He has become a different person now and if Lily likes him, she should say so. I won't let my brother get hurt again. And if any of you try to change his mind about asking out Allison, I will shove your wands so far up, you'll forget it even exists."

* * * * *

"You said that? Tell me you didn't say that to their faces..." Regulus doubled over laughing as Juli sat up against the tree, staring into the distance, lost in her thoughts. "Didn't know you had it in you, Potter." He was wheezing and tears were about to fill his eyes. "Those are big words for someone so small."

"Yuck fou Reggie."

"Whoa, okay. What's with the language?"

"What is with you? You think I don't see how you have been acting distant? And you are hanging out with Snape and Avery, for Merlin's Sake! What is the matter with you?" She glared at him.

"He's my friend, Juli. I thought you knew that. I don't want to get caught up between this squabble between your group and Severus."

She felt silent for a few moments. "But they are not good people, Reg. And I thought you knew that. They are friends with Mulciber."

"I have nothing to do with Mulciber. But I have other friends and a family reputation to uphold. Why do you talk to me if you cannot handle that?"

Her eyes widened and she looked at him in surprise. He was not able to look her in the eyes. "What's wrong?"

He didn't reply.

She took his face in her hands and turned him towards her. "What's wrong, Reggie?"

"Nothing." He said, getting up. "See you around."

"Maybe we can meet for butterbeer? Halloween is in 3 days?" She asked hopefully and desperately. She didn't mind being desperate in front of him because she knew he would get it.

"No can do. See you later."

She watched sadly as he walked away.

Shaking her head, she slowly stood up and made her way towards the pitch. It was a long walk but she needed it to clear her head. To think about Regulus' distant behavior towards her. Maybe she could talk to Sirius about it. She smiled giddily thinking about him.

She reached the stands and saw James flying. Shouting instructions and guiding his team. Then her eyes fell on Sirius.

On a broom and with a beater's bat, he looked even more handsome. That explained all the girls in stands squealing and eyeing him excitedly.

Ever since he had been the beater for the Gryffindor team, he had been getting more attention than ever and had developed muscles and abs. She felt her cheeks getting warm just at the thought of it.

Sirius saw her standing in the stands and flew to meet her, hovering on the broom just inches from her place.

She went forward so that their noses were almost touching.

"I need to talk, Sirius. It's about Regulus." She said.

"It can wait, darling." He whispered, dangerously close to her.

"Oi, Black! Back in the game! Less flirting, more playing!" James shouted.

Juli tilted her head and made a rude hand gesture which would have made Mcgonagall very angry.

Sirius laughed and held her hand, closing in towards her.

Juli looked back and smirked at the girls who looked like they could explode any moment. She grasped Sirius' robes and pulled him towards her, kissing him like never before.