23.

Lily sighed as those words left Sirius' mouth. She knew that he cared for her the way he had never done before. She also knew that Sirius would never accept this in front of James. "I suppose you do." She said, blinking tears away from her eyes. They pulled back from the hug and he gave her a weak smile.

"Let's get you something to eat." Lily said, pulling his hand.

"Do you even know how to get into the kitchen?" He laughed.

She stopped to think, "No, but you can teach me. Race you to the kitchen." She smirked at him and dashed off, with a laughing Sirius on her heels.

* * * * *

Juli was woken up when Marlene threw a pillow at her face. She groaned and turned her back towards her.

She went and stood in front of her. "Get up, Juli." She hit her lightly again. "Time to go on a date with someone you don't like in a romantic way."

"She is right. You said you would go." Lily chimed in.

Juli got up with a frown on her face. She looked at the girls and plopped back down on her bed. The other two girls sat on Lily's bed, waiting for her to get up. She looked at both of them and asked, "Must I really?"

"No," Marlene said getting up and going to sit beside her "Don't force yourself into something you are not comfortable with."

She smiled at her but decided to keep her word to Peter. It was not like Sirius cared anyway.

Juli left the dorm with Lily to go to the Great Hall, where they would have some breakfast and leave. Her pace was slower than ever, making it evident that she had no interest whatsoever in going. Lily was not pulling her, either knowing the truth all too well.

They met the 4 boys at the carriages but Lily decided to go with Snape instead. James glared at Snape but did not manage to entice him. Sirius could not bring himself to look at Juli and wanted to avoid conversation with her. He wanted to be the one going on a date with her. Unfortunately for him, Juli sensed that he was different. He... smelled different.

"Sirius?" She asked after a while. He looked at her in surprise. "Why do you smell weird?"

"What do you mean?" He tried acting surprised.

She paused and took a deep breath. "You smoked?" She exclaimed.

"No, I didn't."

Juli turned her gaze towards James. "How long has this been going on? Who else knows?"

James knew better than to lie to her. "Since school started." He sighed. "We have been asking him not to but he doesn't listen. And I suppose Lily found out last night."

The carriages had now stopped and everyone started getting off. "Why do you care anyway?" Sirius asked, clearly annoyed. "Go and enjoy your date." Juli could sense that it was meant in a rude and disapproving way.

She shook her head in response and said goodbye to Remus.

"Um, well..." James tried finding the right words to say to her. Juli smiled at her brother's protectiveness and kissed his cheek.

"I will be alright, Jamie. Try not to worry." He smiled at her in response.

Peter linked his hand with her and she realized that she was actually on a date with Peter. The realization struck her like a bolt of lightening. She glanced at Sirius and saw him staring at their hands. Peter was very excited and had turned around to go to Three Broomsticks.

Remus saw Amethyst getting down from a carriage and smiled at her. He turned to Sirius and whispered, "It is just a date. Find me if you need to talk."

Sirius smiled in response and said, "Go get her."

"Looks like you're my date, then." James told him.

"I am" Sirius batted his eyelashes at him dramatically and held his hands. They burst into laughter and soon left for Zonko's to find new materials for pranks.

Remus was now walking with Amethyst towards the Three Broomsticks when she suddenly stopped. "Do you want to find some place more private where we can talk?" She asked.

"Of course." He smiled nervousl. He did't know what she wanted to talk about. What if she had discovered his secret? They kept walking till the end of the road and stopped at some distance from the shrieking shack.

They stood in silence enjoying the breeze. "They say it is haunted." Remus said, starting a conversation.

Amethyst shook her head. "It is not."

"No?" He chuckled.

"I know you transform in there every full moon." She looked at him. Remus was now frozen. She knew. She knew and she would tell the whole school. He would be expelled.

"I will just get going then." He turned around on his heels.

"Remus, wait." She jogged up to him. "I won't tell anyone, don't worry," and put a hand on his shoulder. "I am observant and realized that you didn't want anyone to know. So I will respect that because that is not my secret to share." She smiled.

He had the most supportive friends and hence, didn't need a lot of reassurance. "Hey, Amethyst?" He gathered up the courage to ask. "Would you like to go out with me?"

Her smile faded. "Oh, Remus..." She whispered.

"Is it- is it because I am a werewolf?"

"Werewolf or not, my opinion remains the same. It's just that..." She hesitated.

He held her hand and encouraged her to go on. "I, um, I am enby."

"I am sorry, I don't quite know what you mean." He felt guilty.

"Well, it um, it means non binary and that I don't identify myself with either of the two genders."

Remus knew it took a lot of courage to tell him that but he didn't know how to respond. "I... I didn't know." He didn't know what else to say.

"Can you please not tell anyone? Only the Ravenclaws know." Amethyst sounded timid.

"Of course I won't." He smiled. "How do you want me to address you, then?" he asked kindly, having the minimal knowledge about the subject.

"Well, they is fine."

"They it is!" He pulled them into a hug, trying to give reassurance.

"I hope we can still be friends? You are one of the sweetest person I have met."

"Of course. Besides, I can't discuss my favourite books with James, Sirius and Peter." He winked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Amethyst is dedicated to my lovely AriaChaarag

Ily <3