36.

Lily stormed out of the compartment, her heart breaking with every step. She knew she was too harsh on Sirius but he deserved it. His 'prank' could have gotten someone killed.

"I wish there was something we could do about You-Know-Who." Dorcas said, trying to distract Lily.

"Maybe Dumbledore knows something and we can help." Alice added cheerfully.

Marlene smirked at her. "Maybe when you are not busy with Frank, we can go and ask him."

Alice's cheeks turned red and the girls laughed, trying to put on a brave face for what could lie ahead.

Sirius felt terrible. He could tell that Lily was very upset and he had to make things better. He just didn't know how.

He turned around and faced his friends, all of them looking at him sympathetically. He sighed loudly, sitting down opposite Remus and put his head against the window.

How he wished things would go back to the way they were. When James and Juliette were not fighting and he didn't feel guilty about it... when his sweet Lily was not upset with him. How he hoped he would be able to solve things between them.

After a few hours, the train reached King's Cross and the children said their good byes. It took all the will power for Lily to not pull Sirius into a bone crushing hug. As for James, she was still angry at him for the whole incident and didn't even look at him.

"We'll visit you soon for the moon." Remus was assured by his friends and his heart swelled with happiness and gratitude.

Juli met Regulus secretly before he could meet his parents and he promised he would write. Sirius, James and her made their way towards Euphemia and Fleamont and didn't even bother hiding their issues.

The adults had given up trying to ask about them and took them straight home for lunch.

"How were your OWLs?" Fleamont asked.

"Amazing"

"Great"

"Perfect"

The children replied in unison and grinned. The silence wasn't uncomfortable anymore.

"See you around, Padfoot." James said before getting up.

"So you won't even acknowledge me?" Juli asked him with a sad voice.

James looked at the her and Sirius and left without a word.

She looked at Sirius, as if realizing something painful.

"I am sorry, Sirius." She said.

He raised his brows in question but slumped back after a moment, realizing what she meant.

"I...Jamie he is.." Words were stuck in her mouth. She didn't know how to tell him.

"I understand. James is important to both of us and we knew since long ago it would be him over each other." He took a deep breath as she braced herself for his next words. "This is it, Juliette." He got up and left, giving her time to absorb.

She knew how much he cared but if he told her, they couldn't be able to stay away from each other. After he left, she let her tears fall freely.

"You okay, Jules? Sirius told me. He seems shaken up."

She turned around and saw James. This was the first time he had properly spoken to her. She shook her head to let him know that she was not okay.

He made his towards her and awkwardly placed his hands on her shoulder, "For what it's worth, I really appreciate what you did."

James' mind was running with thoughts. He felt bad for how he had reacted but he couldn't let this happen. The consequences were far too heavy and not worth it. "I am sorry." He mumbled.

She nodded at him and ran back to her room, so that she could cry in peace. She had no idea how she was supposed to be in the same house as Sirius for the next 3 months but she had her brother back. That meant something good had happened, too, she justified and consoled herself.

She took a parchment and a quill and started writing,

"Dear Lily,
We saw each other less than 2 hours ago but I wanted to tell you. Both me and Sirius knew that James is far too important to lose so we broke up." She felt her throat tighten.
"It was like he had disowned me and I couldn't bear it. Sirius knew that. Everyone did, except perhaps James himself. Sirius needs you, please don't stay mad at him.

Love,
Juli."

She proof read the letter and noticed stains. She didn't know she was crying while writing and her tears had smudged the ink. She couldn't write those words again and decided to send the tear-stained letter anyway.

Calling for the family owl, she rolled the letter and tied it to his back. "Take it to Lily Evans, okay?"

The owl hooted in response and flew away.

All Juli could do now was wait for her response and hope. Hope that James would go back to normal with him and that Sirius would be okay.