97.

Regulus' POV

Regulus' POV

Regulus felt like he was dreaming and when he opened his eyes, he choked back a sob. Juli was lying in front of him, not breathing.

There was no one else on the road he had found himself on and realized he was back at Hogsmeade. He didn't know what had happened or how he had reached there.

He was too in shock so the journey from there to Hogwarts was a blur as well.

His best friend, the first person to ever approach him upfront, the one who accepted him just the way he was, was dead.

He couldn't even remember what their last proper conversation was. She was the one who had given him assurance on various occasions, supported him during Quidditch matches, hugged him when no one else did. She was there for him when no one else was.

He reached the school ground and with his wand, sent up black sparks. As expected, Sirius and his whole group came running.

They watched with disbelief as Regulus gently laid Juli on the ground, cursing himself.

Lily, Sirius and Remus were the first to move towards her. After their initial, slow, steps, they ran towards her as Regulus backed up.  

"Oh, Merlin..." Lily cried. "Come on, Juli. Wake up, please." She cradled her face in her arms as Sirius looked at them in horror.

Remus removed a strand of hair from her face and whispered softly, "How did this happen?" He sounded angrier than ever before but did not show it.

Regulus realized that Remus was talking to him and cleared his throat. "I - I can't remember."

"What do you mean you can't remember?" Sirius exclaimed.

"I mean that it is all a - a bit hazy." He said apologetically. "There was the cruciatus curse but - but it was Mulciber screaming."

There was a hint of proud triumph on Sirius' face.

By now, a lot of students had gathered around, staring.

"He has been obliviated." James said softly, kneeling down next to his sister. "May - maybe we can take her to the Hospital Wing or - or St. Mungo's. They will know what to do." He looked expectantly at Lily but she shook her head, burying her face into James' chest and crying.

James glanced at Regulus who couldn't look anywhere but at the ground.

How could he? He knew he saw it happened. He knew that he had to undo something but he didn't know what.

Suddenly, the crowd cleared and Dumbledore came into view with James' and Juli's parents.

The moment Mrs. Potter saw her daughter lying up close, her knees gave out and she had to hold on Mr. Potter who was also crying now.