26.

Lily, Juli, Marlene and Dorcas were in the girls' dorm waiting for Alice to come back.

"Can you believe it? One of us actually has a boyfriend." Dorcas said.

Juli was caught off guard at Dorcas' statement. "Oh, h-how did you know?" No one could know about this. Not yet, at least.

"Because" Lily said before someone else could, "Everyone knows that Frank is going to ask Alice to go official today." With emphasis on Alice and Frank.

Juli realized that they were not talking about Sirius and her and sighed in relief. She looked at Lily who was face palming at her.

"It is 10 minutes to midnight, maybe we should go to the boys' dorm." Marlene said, looking at Alice's watch on the nightstand.

The girls nodded at her and got up, rummaging around their trunks for Sirius' presents.

Dorcas then moved over to Alice's trunk "I will take Alice's, too. I am sure she would be glad I did."

Juli was still looking for her present while everyone was waiting for her. She was frantic and was messing her trunk. She groaned in frustration and closed the lid of her trunk, looking to close to tears.

"Why don't you go and wait for us downstairs. Potter would be back with the cake by now." Lily said to the other two girls.

"Hurry." Marlene rolled her eyes at them and left.

Lily bent down and put her hand under Juli's bed, looking for something. "Here it is! Stop fidgeting and let's go." She said, pulling out a small box.

"Oh thank God. I was so worried that he wouldn't like it that I forgot where it was."

Lily was pulling her towards the door. "I am sure he will absolutely love it. Now come on, we don't want to be late."

The girls came rushing down but didn't even have time to greet everyone at the bottom of the stairs. They rushed towards the boys' dorm, waiting outside the door.

"Which flavour did you get?" Marlene asked, eyeing the cake in Remus' hands.

"Chocolate, of course." He grinned.

She threw her hands up, as if in surrender and said, "Oh, bless the house elves."

James started, "What took you so long anyway? Jules, were you putting on make up? I know Lily flower doesn't need any because she is-"

"Not now, James. Only a few more seconds." Remus checked his watch.

After a few seconds, he started the reverse countdown, "5...4...3...2...1" and James opened the door with enthusiasm.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIRIUS." They all exclaimed, entering the dorm. Peter and James were now on Sirius' bed hitting his face with pillows.

"Oh go away" He groaned.

"Wake up, Sirius! We didn't plan all this just to hear you asking us to go away." Juli scolded playfully.

His eyes instantly snapped open at her voice and he sat up. He looked around their dorm to find his friends crowded in the dorm. "Thank you so much." He meant it. "I didn't even remember."

"That's why it is even more fun." Lily said, walking forward and pulling Sirius into a hug.

Remus brought the cake to him and he blew out the candles, making a wish.

Everyone then proceeded to give him gifts. James and Peter had gotten him Quidditch robes, Remus had gotten him 3 different books for Quidditch, Marlene had given him a broom servicing kit, Dorcas gave him a rare chocolate card of Nicholas Flamel and Lily gave him a black leather jacket.

He could not believe that his friends made so many efforts for his birthday. His eyes met with Juli's and his heart fluttered at her warm smile and saw her hiding something but didn't push it.

"Let us decide what prank to play tomorrow as your birthday bash." James chortled.

"You did one on Halloween." Lily exclaimed in disbelief.

"Yes, but it is my birthday" Sirius smirked.

"Neither me nor Remus," Lily glared at Remus "Should allow this as prefects but since this is my best friend's birthday, I will let it slide."

The room erupted into cheers as Lily laughed at the boys' antiques. "Just this once, Siri!"

The group sat until 2am, celebrating Sirius' birthday and eating. They were soon joined by Alice and Frank, too.

"We should get going, it is late." Dorcas got up.

Everyone but Juli and Sirius nodded, who were enjoying each other's presence. Sadly for her, Juli she was pulled up by Lily. "See you tomorrow" She said, giving in to her best friend's demands. The girls left the dorm, with Juli at the end who was walking as slow as a sloth.

"I'll escort the ladies till as far as the stairs allow." Sirius got up, too.

"What for?" Peter asked, already climbing into bed.

"This is the least I can do for my lady."

Unlike others, Juli blushed when she noticed the singular 'lady'. Lily had not missed it, too and smirked at Sirius.

He followed them and was secretly hoping that Juli would wait to talk to him. She was contemplating what she would say to the girls to ask them for some privacy.

"Um, guys?" She started.

"Oh, we'll go." Marlene laughed. "Your boyfriend told us last night."

"He did?" Juli asked, turning around to face Sirius. The other girls took this as their cue and left.

He panicked when he realized that she would not have approved of this. What if she broke up with him? It had been only 3 days. "You were already keeping a secret from your brother. I didn't want to make it more difficult for you. I am so sorry I thought this was the right thing to do. I should have asked you."

Juli chuckled softly and went closer to him. "That is very thoughtful of you, Sirius. No need to apologise." She handed him the rectangular box which she had been hiding. "I know this is the same as your Christmas gift, but I... I don't know..." She held out her hands, "Give it back, it is rubbish."

"That is for me to decide so now shush." He went and sat down on the sofa in the common room and opened the box. Juli sat down beside him, waiting anxiously. He pulled out an album which had about 4 pages and a letter. The first page had a photograph of the 10 of them in Hogsmeade in their third year, smiling happily. The second picture was of the Marauders at the twins' party last year, making jokes loudly, arms around each other. The third page had one of the girls and Sirius, with Lily on his back and Marlene's arm linked with his, laughing at the camera. The last one was a picture of Sirius with the Potters taken during summer break. He smiled fondly at the memory. Euphemia and Fleamont had forced him into the family picture and had made him stand in the middle, ("You are a part of the family, why not show it?"). James had an arm on his neck and he had each of his hands on Juli's and James' waists.

He then picked up the letter to read it,

Dear Sirius,

Happy 16th!

I wish I knew how to make you believe that your family does not define who you are, but if you want to believe so despite what we all say, 'we' are the family that will define you. Always.

All my love,
Juliette.

Sirius read and reread the letter with a smile on his lips. "Juliette..." He started. "This is perfect..."

"It is?" She asked, looking relieved.

He nodded and cupping her face, kissed her. They both were smiling into the kiss and lost in the moment when Sirius heard James' voice shout, "What the hell is going on here?"