* chapter seventy six *

'Mom!' Eliot cried out, lifting up his feet nervously as Layla sniffed her head. 'Layla what's wrong with Mom?'

'She passed out again Eliot.' Layla laid her head against Claudette's chest, hearing her heartbeat go strong. 'I need you to lay on her feet. I'm going to lay on her stomach.'

'W-why?' Eliot had tears streaming down his face, but did as told, knowing Layla was the only one to trust during episodes like this.

'She's going to want to jump up once she wakes up.' Layla settled on Claudette's torso, resting her head on her neck, careful to not put too much weight on her. 'And she needs to lay still so she doesn't pass out again. She might be a little aggressive, so please be careful.'

'I've gotten bigger. I'm extra strong now.' Eliot shook his head, his tears leaving his face.

'Yes you are Eliot.' Layla smiled softly. 'You are super strong.' Layla could feel Claudette's breath against her fur. 'One day Eliot, it's going to be just you and Claudette. You're going to have to be in charge and do what I'm doing when she passes out without me.'

'What do you mean 'just me and Claudette'? You're always going to be with us Layla, right?' Eliot lifted his head, worry and confusion flowing through his almost black eyes.

Layla's heart pained. 'You'll understand when you're older.' Eliot was only just a boy. She shouldn't worry him too much. But she will make sure he is ready when her time comes. 'She's waking up Eliot.'

Claudette's eyes opened and she gasped, trying to sit up. Layla put her paw on her shoulder and pushed down, Claudette too weak to fight it.

Layla whined softly and laid her head against her neck/collarbone. Claudette panted, staring up at the sky, tears streaming down her face, not only from confusion, but from the blood falling from her head.

Layla didn't tell Eliot about the blood, knowing the younger pup would freak out and Layla would have to comfort a sobbing kid too. She kept that worry to herself, knowing Claudette would know what to do.

Claudette rubbed Layla's head slowly, trying to calm her breath as she stared up at the clouds. She felt Eliot on her legs, incredibly thankful for her dogs to ground her. "Good girl." Claudette clicked her tongue softly and held her hand out for Eliot. He hurried over. "Good boy."

Eliot licked her face. 'Layla, she's awake!'

Layla closed her eyes, swallowing her tears and buried her face in Claudette neck the best she could. 'I know Eliot. I know.'

---

Claudette saw the blood as she took a shower. She ignored it the best she could earlier while she finished hanging up the bird feeders, the blood slowed anyways. It couldn't have been that bad. It was just rocks that she fell on.

But it looked like a lot of blood once she washed it out of her hair.

'I can't tell them.' Claudette decided as she put conditioner in her hair, closing her eyes to think clearer. 'They're really busy at work and they'll freak out as well.

'It's not even that bad anyways.'

She was still getting ready once the boys came home. Claudette was almost done, just finishing her make up. All that was left was to do her hair, and that wouldn't take long.

There was a knock at her door, Layla raising her head, laying on Claudette's bed. "It's just one of the boys." Claudette scratched her head as she walked past, Layla not relaxing until she saw which one.

"Hey Cam." Yoongi kissed Claudette's forehead as he walked in, Layla laying her head back down.

Yoongi was the only one she completely trusted.