* chapter twenty five *

"So you've never ever dated anyone before?" Jungkook brought up the previous topic, the two walking slowly as Eliot zigzagged in front of them.

"Nope." Claudette hugged herself, very thankful for Jungkook's jacket.

"A crush?" Jungkook waved at Eliot while he looked back up at the two humans.

"I mean..." Claudette shook her head. "Nevermind."

'Don't tell him you have a crush on them are you stUPid??' She scolded herself, hoping Jungkook would let it slide.

'Ten bucks her crush is us seven.' Jungkook grinned to himself, pushing his hands into his pants pockets.

"In the books I read, the main character and the love interest always hold hands while they walk somewhere, and it's the cutest thing ever." Claudette sighed, smiling to herself as she remembered the countless character ships. "I've never-"

"Can I hold your hand?" Jungkook held out his hand. "Is that what the book characters say?"

Claudette nodded, slowly raising her hand as well. Jungkook met her in the middle, intertwining their fingers before swinging them softly as they walked. "Exactly like in the books."

---

"Boy-" Hoseok smacked Yoongi across the head. "What have I said about falling for every semi-cute girl you meet?"

"This is real Hoseok!" Yoongi shoved his hand away. "I really really care about her."

Hoseok crossed his arms, narrowing his eyes as well. "What made you realize you 'like' her."

"I want to kiss her." Yoongi replied immediately, and Hoseok saw the wonder and love crawl into those little eyes he has. "I want to make music while she's asleep in my lap. I want to hold her hand. I want to, hell I want to have a pillow fight with her in ungodly hours of the night."

"Fine, maybe this is a real crush." Hoseok uncrossed his arms, his narrow still morphing into a soft smile. "I'm happy for you Yoongles, and I approve."

"You're okay with, with it?" Yoongi double checked with his boyfriend, not wanting to offend or cross any boundaries with him. It's Jung freaking Hoseok, the love of Yoongi's life. Everything revolves around him.

"Yes, as long as you tell me how you're gonna confess." Hoseok looked Yoongi up and down. "'Cause you're fessing before she leaves."

"Do I have to?" Yoongi looked down at their feet, fiddling with the bag of candy he held.

"Yes you have to." Hoseok scolded softly. "You aren't going to tell her over text. Have you seen her?? She's so soft and adorable, she doesn't deserve some dumbass texting 'hey wanna date yes or no?' at three am."

"Fine, you're right."

"Like always." Hoseok smiled proudly, leaning against the wall, arms crossed.

"I could write her a song-"

"No."

"But-"

"No."

---

Jungkook and Claudette had found their way to a bench, facing a small lake, sitting down to take in the scenery around them. Claudette sat with her legs crossed respectfully, Jungkook beside her with his legs spread out, slouching backwards with his arms crossed.

And then he remembered who his girlfriend was for the night.

"Oh it's getting late." He fake yawned, stretching his arms above his head, letting the one closed to Claudette fall around her shoulders. "Oh no my arm." He started to pull her towards him, Claudette going bright red, Eliot growling in her lap. "Oh no, you're leaning against me." He spoke softly, sarcastically too of course, but a gentle tone.

"You're so cheesy." Claudette mumbled, scotting closer to him. "Are you sure you're still not cold?"

"Of course-"

"Give me your hand." Claudette held out her hand, Jungkook doing as told. "It's ice cold."

"I guess you'll have to hold it so it warms up." Jungkook looked down, squinting through the dark to see the hints of pink across her cheeks.

"Stay close to me." Claudette looked up, meeting his eyes, shocking Jungkook with her confidence. "I want to keep you warm."

"If that's what you want, Sprinkles." Jungkook rubbed her arm, the pace slowly slowing.

"Sprinkles?" Claudette frowned, holding Jungkook's one hand with both of her's, hoping she was making it warmer.

"Yeah, you're freckles remind me of sprinkles." Jungkook nodded, looking out at the water.

"M-my freck-you can see my freckles?" She released his hand, her hands feeling her cheeks. "The concealer-"

"You tried to cover them up?" Jungkook turned towards her a bit, still having her lean against him as he touched her cheek gently. "Why?"

"I hate them." Claudette mumbled. "The other kids at the orphanage would bully me all the time, saying they were mistakes and just a bunch of paint."

"No no." Jungkook frowned, his lips pressed together at the annoyance of past bullies. He knew what it felt like. "No, they remind me of the stars, not paint."

"Stars?" Claudette frowned, still letting her fingers fall across her cheeks.

"Yes, stars." Jungkook looked up to the sky. "Look, see that little cluster of stars?" He turned back to her and drew a small circle around her freckles. "They look just like these few."

"Jungkook-"

"And the big dipper!" He exclaimed, connecting her freckles together with his finger. "Wow you have a whole constellation on your face. You're so so beautiful and you carry the sky of stars on your face, so please, see your freckles like how I see them."

"A sky full of stars..." Claudette whispered, touching her face differently. She took care, and was gentle with how she graced the places where her freckles were.

"Hung by you."

---

Claudette had her head leaning against Jungkook's shoulder, Eliot asleep in her lap, her fingers lazily stroking his fur. And of course, her free hand held Jungkook's, keeping her word to make him warm.

Jungkook had his head tilted up, eyes on the stars as he took slow breaths, his mind wandering.

"What are you thinking about, Kook?" Claudette asked gently, taking her fingers from Eliot's fur so she could lay her hand on his chest.

Jungkook smiled gently. "The sky. The creator, whoever it may be, is a genius. The stars are so, so bright." Jungkook sighed softly, unable to tear his eyes away. "They remind me of the ARMY bombs at our concerts. All of those people, our fans, shining for us." Jungkook's eyes flickered down the dark water of the lake as his heart throbbed inside his chest. Claudette's eyebrows wavered, stopping the rubbing of his chest. "A-and if I don't, if I'm not good enough, then the lights will vanquish until it's just the dark sea, of nothing." Jungkook didn't breathe. "A sky without any stars."

"J-Jungkook?"

"Ah sorry!" He laughed, rubbing the back of his neck, finally feeling a buzz in his pocket. "Oh!" Jungkook stood up, looking at his phone. "The guys are done!"

"Kook." Claudette sat Eliot on the ground, standing in front of him. "Are you okay?"

Those three words sparking tears, crawling up to his eyes, screaming and begging to fall. It's been so long, please, let them fal-

"I'm okay Claudia." Jungkook lied, pushing the sea of tears away.

Claudette stepped forward, cupping his cold face. She didn't say anything, pulling him in for a hug.

Jungkook felt his eyes close, the tears running to the closed eyelids, but still no victory for them. He felt safe, in the tiny arms of her. Just the way she held him... He knew he would be alright with her. Everything will be okay.

She would win a fight with his anxiety.

And be a worthy competitor to his depression.