7. The Howling Commandos

I'm standing back in the hospital tent at yet another base. Today's the day that Steve and the infamous Howling Commandos set off on their mission to obliterate the known Hydra facilities. And just like Colonel Phillips said, I'll be following them to make sure they're all in top notch condition. Though I've heard that they won't be coming back to the base until the mission's complete, unless unprecedented circumstances arise. My eyes well with a few small tears thinking of the possibilities.

"Leia?" I whip my head up from self defense instinct but my features soften when I see Bucky standing there.
"Bucky." I sigh as he walks over to me. I see him holding his wrist and my eyes are instantly drawn to the state of his forearm. There's tiny diagonal slashes against the length of it. "Bucky please stop hurting yourself." I sniff but also let out a small laugh while hovering my hand over his wounds, closing them quickly.
"Not if it means I don't get to see you." He says quietly. I pull my hand away and finally look up into his eyes.
"Bucky I-"
"Don't say anything." He interrupts and I seal my lips. He stares into my eyes for a few moments before speaking again. "We're leaving... now."
"Now?" I confirm and he nods his head. I pull myself together quickly taking a couple breathes. "Well I'll see you off then." I stand up making for the door but he grasps my hand before I can go too far. He tugs me lightly and I crash into his chest. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and mine instinctively go around his torso.
I hear him breathe out a long sigh before he lets go of me. "Come on." He smiles walking towards the doors with me in tow.

"Ms Callahan." Colonel Phillips says and I stand next to him, Peggy and other officials while the group of Howling Commandos and other troops stand before us.
"You know what you have to do." Colonel Phillips says to the men and they all salute him. I watch as Peggy talks to Steve. God the sexual tension between those two is crazy. Peggy steps back and I see Steve watch her every move.
Steve stands in front of me and sends me a smile.
"Please don't do anything stupid." I laugh.
"I can't make any promises." He banters. I send him a farewell smile.

Only then do I see Bucky standing beside him looking right at me. He's got a rifle slung over his back and a fresh navy blue uniform on, which I didn't notice before. My body acts before my mind can catch up and I'm throwing my arms around his shoulders in a second. He hugs me tighter than ever before.
"Please be safe." I whisper so only he can hear me.
"I will, I promise." He whispers back and I squeeze him one last time before retreating back quickly. The men salute their Colonel and other officials, before getting in the truck to leave. I watch Steve sit next to Bucky hanging their arms over the side. The vehicle starts to move slowly and it takes everything in me not to run after them. Not to call out Bucky's name and hang onto his hand until my legs can't run as fast as the truck moves. Instead I just wave them off from my position between Peggy and the Colonel.

"You and Barnes?" Peggy says once they're far gone in the distance.
"He's my best friend." I say to her as we go about our duties.

-

Months and months pass. Years honestly and the Howling Commandos infiltrate and take down the Hydra bases wiping them totally off the map.
In the beginning I work in close proximity to the troops, following them along the map while still on our turf anticipating casualties. But the troops have such a high success rate that Colonel Phillips sees me back to London and I'll only be shipped out when needed.
I often sit in the theatre with Peggy and Colonel Phillips watching the tapes from the troops.
I find myself constantly searching for Bucky on the film. Each time I see him I'm reassured that he's okay and that's all I want. We sometimes receive direct word from the soldiers but its often solely about the advances and Peggy nor I get a mention. And why would we, we're not all that important. I watch the black and white screen and I see Steve and Bucky on it. Steve looks to be giving instructions, pointing every which way while Bucky eyes the map on the hood of the car.
Steve's pointing at different points on the map and the camera pans up to his left hand holding a compass. There's a picture of Peggy in it and my eyes grow wide. The scene cuts to Steve looking sheepish at the camera knowing he's been caught.
I look through my peripheral vision at Peggy who's doing the same to Colonel Phillips. I see the corners of her mouth curl up into a small smile and I can't help but do the same. That's adorable.