23. Ready To Comply

Bucky and Leia are placed, still in their respective containment cells, into another room to await questioning. Their cells are momentarily turned off, only for the LEDs to turn back on when connected to the outlet. Leia glances over at Bucky scared for what might happen to them, and he just tips his head back thinking the same thing.

After god knows how long the door opens and a man walks in wearing nice clothes and a pair of glasses.
"Hello, Mr Barnes. Ms Callahan." The man starts. "I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you. Do you mind if I sit?" Both of them stay completely silent and the man sits down anyway, unloading his things. "Your first names are James and Leia?" The man asks them.
Leia nods slowly but Bucky stays completely still.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions." The man's Swiss accent shines through. "James and Leia. Do you know where you are?" He asks and still they both stay silent. "James. Leia. I can't help you if you don't talk to me."

"My name is Bucky." His voice comes out raspy and it breaks Leia's heart entirely.
"Tell me." The man says. "You've both seen a great deal, haven't you?"
"I don't wanna talk about it." Bucky and Leia say in unison.
"You fear that if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop." The man looks down at the small screen in front of him. "Don't worry, we only have to talk about one." He looks between Bucky and Leia. She gets a sickening feeling in her stomach almost immediately. Suddenly the lights flicker, plunging the room into darkness.
"Bucky!" Leia grips the armrests tight.
"Leia." He whispers back.

There's a flashing red light that provides much of the light left in the room.
"What the hell is this?" Bucky mumbles looking at the man.
"Why don't we discuss your home?" The man says to them. "Not Romania, certainly not Brooklyn or Queens, no. I mean your real home." The man flips open his satchel and pulls out a red book. When Leia recognizes the black star on the front her heart sinks to the floor. Bucky's eyes are narrow as the man takes his glasses off, standing up. He grabs a small flashlight and starts to walk.

"Желание. (Longing)" The man starts speaking those forbidden words.
"No." Bucky's heart drops and he tilts his head back.
"Ржавый. (Rusted)" He continues.
Leia's heart pounds as she too tips her head back.
"Stop." Bucky's lips shake as the horrid feeling starts to spread through his brain.
"Leia." He calls out shakily.
"Bucky!" Leia whimpers as her arms tense.
"Семнадцать. (Seventeen)"

Bucky's metal arm tenses as he balls his hand into a fist. "Stop!" He growls.
"Please stop." Leia throws her head back.
"Рассвет. (Daybreak)"

Leia yells as the feeling courses through her veins. She tenses against the restraints feeling them budge slightly. Leia hears Bucky beside her screaming out. The super soldier pulls his arm up breaking out of the restraints. He attacks the one holding his right arm and breaks it off.
"Ahhh!!" Leia cries trying to get free.
"Печь. (Furnace)"

Bucky jumps up and starts pounding at the glass wall, grunting in doing so.
"Девять. (Nine)" The man stalks around their holding cells as they cry out in agony. "Добросердечный. (Benign)"

Bucky's practically gone as he pounds the thick glass. Leia pulls against the restraints again and it's still no use. Her fingers tingle and two currents grow from her hands, blasting the restraints off. She too stands up and starts kicking at the glass, hard. Bucky's fist starts to shatter the glass. It starts small and he keeps hitting the same spot.
"Возвращение на Родину. Один. (Homecoming. One)" The man keeps walking around the cells shining the light down on the treacherous book.
Bucky and Leia repeatedly punch and kick the glass trying their hardest to break free.
"Товарный вагон. (Freight car)" The man raises his voice for the last words.
Bucky slams his fist in one last time, sending the glass door flying, while Leia casts a massive dark blue current achieving the same outcome. The pair stumble out of the glass prisons and stand up slowly. The strange man stalks in front of them with devilish eyes. He stands between the two soldiers and they just look straight ahead.