72. DIY

The man slings the rifle over his shoulder as he walks into the dark office. He could never understand why the man who hired him insisted on never turning on the lights.
"Sir I-" He says to the back of the tall chair.
"You had one shot, one job... Just aim and pull the trigger." The man behind the chair says. The devilish human stands, slowly, menacingly turning around to face the Hitman. "All you had to do... was kill him."
"I'm sorry, sir, I fired and then the bloke moved in front of him!" He tries to find any plausible excuse.
"Aah, yes... of course." The man grasps the small handgun that's set on the beautiful oak desk. Without a second thought he raises the weapon and fires a single shot through the Hitman's forehead.

He grins evilly, his dark silver eyes sparkling under the moonlight which comes through the window. "Just aim... and pull the trigger."

-

"Hello Leia!" Happy smiles knocking on her bedroom door.
"Hey Happy." She grins, allowing him to come in.
"Tony wanted me to ask you a couple things abou-" His words are interrupted by the shrill shattering of glass and a bullet nests itself through Happy's heart. The tall man drops to the floor instantly, his body turned pale and lifeless.
"Happy?" Leia jumps up and falls to the floor beside the man. "Happy!?"
She tries to heal him and the currents emitted from her hands curl into his body but there's no effect. He's gone.
"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!"

Leia screams snapping her eyes open and sitting up faster than ever. Her whole body is covered in sweat and her breathing is shaky.
"Leia! Hey, shhhh." Bucky's up and wrapping his arms around her in an instant.
"I couldn't save him Buck, I couldn't-" She just buries her head in his chest and lets the sobs run free.

-

Bucky gets the feeling that Leia just wants to be alone for a while. And although he doesn't want to leave her side considering her present state he knows it's what she wants.
But as soon as he's gone Leia wishes he hadn't left. The sadness takes over her body once more and she brings her knees to her chest unsure of what else to do.

But a rhythmic knock sounds from her door and she looks up. Her eyes widen when she sees Tony standing in the doorway.
"Tony?" Her voice is low and wary.
"Can I come in?" He asks and she nods swiftly.
The billionaire sits down on the edge of the bed next to her. His eyes find hers and that's all it takes for Leia to break.
"I'm so sorry Tony." She whispers through a sob.
"It's not your fault Leia." Tony assures.
"But it is. It is my fault. I could've saved him and I didn't. And now he's, he's gone." The guilt running through her body makes her feel completely numb.
"Leia, listen to me. It isn't your fault. Your abilities are a privilege we're lucky to have access too but if we didn't have you, Happy still would've been taken to the hospital and passed away. It's not your fault." Tony tries to reassure her.
"But I could've saved him, if I hadn't been so irresponsible and selfish." Leia can't help but think back to Steve's words from the night before.
"Leia, he was okay. In the ambulance he was ready, he knew it was his time." A few tears brim in Tony's eyes remembering the bare conversation.
"I'm so sorry." Leia says again, feeling no less guilt.

"It's alright." Tony pauses for a moment before speaking again. "The press are looking for a statement from you...."
Tony's voice fades and Leia looks up at him with broken eyes. "I can't Tony."
"I know, I'll talk on your behalf alright. I promise it's not your fault Leia." Tony pats her shoulder gently.
"Okay." Leia wipes her cheeks quickly.
Leia stands up when Tony goes to leave. "It's alright." He repeats pulling her into a hug. Both of their sadness comes to the surface and is released through the hug somehow. He's not mad at her, it isn't her fault at all.

When Tony leaves she sits back down and turns the television on, sitting on the edge of their bed.
"Good morning, I'm Carl Pendoville, welcome to the program. I'm devastated to announce that last night at the celebratory gala for our heroes, there was an attack. We cross now to Darlene Smith on the scene." The news anchorman says.