16. On Edge

"Where are we going?" Leia asks as they creep around.
"Shh." They stay low as they creep around the side of the building. Finally Leia sees where they are. The Triskelion.
"What are we doing here!? This place will be swarming with Hydra operatives." Leia almost screeches. Bucky stays silent and runs around the corner. Leia jumps into gear and follows him quickly.
Bucky spies what he was looking for and runs over to it quickly. Leia just follows the man praying he knows what he's doing. They run up to a small plane that's quite out in the open. Both their hearts beat out of their chest, praying they don't get spotted. It's rather dark out so they use that to their advantage. They open the doors to the small jet and get in quickly. Bucky flicks the controls and they're moving fast. Eventually they're in the air and Leia's heart slows to normal. They got out unscathed.
She looks out the window and sees the wreckage still present surrounding the cylindrical skyscraper. She feels remorse and sadness. She didn't want to do what she did, it was all Hydra and she had no control. Same with Bucky.

Bucky grips the wheel tightly keeping his eyes ahead. "Are you okay?" Leia asks him but he keeps his mouth closed, staying silent. She doesn't push it and looks back out the window letting her mind wander.

-

Leia watches as the bright city fades from view as Bucky flies the plane. She's got no idea where they're going but for some reason she trusts him. It feels weird for her to say because she barely knows the guy but she does.
Eventually her eyes slowly grow heavy and feels herself drifting in and out.

-

Leia dreams of herself running along a gravel path and she looks down at the man beside her.
"You okay Steve, you look a little pale?" She asks him.
"I'm okay, you?"
"Fine." She replies and they pick up the pace slightly to try and catch up to the group ahead of them.
She's suddenly in a room with lots of computer screens and buttons. There's two pod looking things in the middle and she sees the same man in front of her. Reaching out she pulls him into a hug holding him close.
"We're going to be okay." She whispers so quiet that only he can hear. He hugs her back before letting go.
Then Leia sees the same man but he's much taller and broader now, has a much stronger build. And then she's back on the Helicarrier from a few days ago. The same man stands in front of her, dressed in red, white and blue.
"Steve?" She says and that's when her eyes spring open.

Leia's chest rises and falls rapidly. She looks around as the sun slowly peaks up over the oceans horizon. That man, she knows him! His name is Steve. Leia remembers him, they were friends, she thinks.
Leia snatches up her small black notebook from the backpack and opens it. She thinks perhaps if she writes it down hopefully she won't forget, she'll be able to remember. Leaning her head back she twirls the pencil between her fingers. Her eyes land on Bucky and sees him concentrating on the controls. His brows are furrowed and he's in the zone. She flicks ahead a few pages and lets her pencil run across the page. She looks between Bucky and the notebook aimlessly sketching his features.

"Will you stop looking at me." He mutters after a while.
"Sorry." She's almost finished and stashes it away when she is. Leia notices them flying over a large town.
Eventually Bucky sets down the plane about an hour south of Galway. After concealing the plane they set about the rest of their journey on foot. Bucky didn't want to take the plane to their direct location just to be safe.

After god knows how long, well into the morning, they reach a small town. There's one Main Street with a small convenience store and a few houses that look like no ones inhabited in years. Bucky walks up to the first house with Leia in tow, opening the door. It's quiet, peaceful actually. Both of them feel a small weight lift off their shoulders. The house is tiny, one room practically. There's a small kitchen and two frumpy lounges and that's all.
"How'd you know about this place?" Leia asks Bucky.
"I'm not sure, I just knew." Is all he says. There's a door which Leia open so find a small bathroom with a shower and toilet. She tries the water and it flows out the shower head. It's freezing to the touch but what do you expect.