80. Traitor

*Flashback*

"Joey!" Diego calls out to his brother who waltzes into the pits wearing his new racing gear. Armstrong #1 displayed proudly on the back.
"Guess we've finally settled who's number one!" Joey gestures to Diego's gear that says #2.
"It's only because there's two of us and you know it." Diego banters. "You nervous?"
"Nah, why would I be nervous?" Joey holds his hands out. "See, steady as a rock."
Diego holds his steady hands out too, mirroring his brother. "We got this." He turns his hands into a fist and bumps Joey's matching hands.
"PIT CREW! DRIVERS! AT YOUR START!!" Someone yells and that's their cue to part.
Diego leans in to hug his brother good luck but he interrupts. "Save it for when I win." He flashes a smile and hurries out to the track amongst the crowds.
There seems to be a bigger crowd than usual floating past their pit all focused on one man. Both the brothers eyes land on the infamous Tony Stark, dressed in his own racing gear surrounded by adoring fans and hungry paparazzi. Joey gestures to the billionaire looking at Diego who's trailing behind. They're both starstruck to say the least. Tony walks past Joey and the young guy offers him a wave, to which Tony returns a passing thumbs up.

Greg, one of the other pit crew, aids Joey into the drivers seat of the black car while half a dozen others, including Diego, float around making sure the race car is ready to go. Joey gives a thumbs up and they all leave his side, jumping over the banister back to their pit. Nerves are high as they watch the red start lights count down from five, tires squealing from the get go. The formula one cars take off reaching speeds over 230m p/h, racing around the circuit.

The pit crew watch the tv screens with keen eyes hoping for a smooth sailing race. Joey sits in 11th place as he drives through the tunnel.
"What's that?" Lewis asks pointing at the far screen. A man dressed in orange has taken to the track by foot and he produces some sort of electronic wires from his hands. Everyone watches with wide eyes as he splits the next car in half sending it tumbling down the track. Another one follows and the tall man slices the front of the blue car sending it flying.
"That's Stark!" William yells and feared gasps ensue from the crowds outside.

The electrical man stalks towards Tony's upside down car as three more cars zoom around the corner. The first yellow one skids to avoid the pedestrian, causing the green and black car that follow to crash into it resulting in a cataclysmic collision. Diego's heart drops as he sees the familiar black and red car flying through the air, engulfed in flames. It's lost its wheels and the engine explodes ripping off the roll structure. It's as if everything moves in slow motion for Diego as he watches his brothers car land upside down and skid along the bitumen track. His feet move before his brain can comprehend recognising that leg of the circuit. His fellow crew members shout his name but their yells are lost on him as he vaults the banister and runs up the track towards the destruction. The man attacking Stark's car is the least of his worries as he dives towards the smoking black vehicle. It's tilted and he can see his brother laying limp still strapped in the seatbelt.
"Joey!" He screams dragging him out and onto the ground, completely oblivious to the explosions and sirens wailing in the distance. "It's alright. You're alright. Help's coming." He ignores the obviously snapped neck not wanting to believe it. "You were doing so good! I'm so proud of you." Diego holds his brother close to him. "Joey." He sobs as the sirens wail much louder now.

"Sir, sir. Please lay him down!" A foreign French accent sounds. Diego looks up at the men and women who run by him towards the other cars. He complies, too much in shock to do otherwise. Several medical staff storm the scene and drop to the ground checking him quickly. They stand up with solemn looks upon their faces promptly laying a sheet over his body to prevent the impending cameras from catching the scene.
"No, no! He needs to go to the hospital, please take him to the hospital!" Diego cries.
"Sir, I'm sorry.." One of the women stands up and comes to his side.
"What..." His voice is hushed not wanting to believe her words.