61. Remeniscing

Bucky walks through the dark compound, it's early and no ones awake yet. His feet make barely any noise as he opens the door to his and Leia's bedroom. He places the small basket down on the ground and walks over to their bed. Leia lays peacefully, snuggled under the blankets, asleep. Bucky doesn't want to wake her but he must if he wants his plans to run smoothly.
He leans his weight onto the bed and hovers over Leia. Bucky places small kisses to her cheeks, whispering, "Leia, wake up."
"Mmm." She stirs moving her head slightly, enough to capture his lips before she's even opened her eyes.
"Get dressed darling, I want to take you somewhere." Bucky kisses her cheek again before pulling back.
Leia doesn't want to wake up but she can hear the hint of excitement in Bucky's voice which sends butterflies to her stomach.
Her eyes flutter open slowly and Bucky looks down at her. "Hi." He grins.
"Hi." Leia smiles standing up. She can tell it's early. The sky outside is still dark.
Quietly, she pulls on some warm clothes. Bucky holds his hand out and grabs the basket, before they both leave the room. They walk slowly, hand in hand, down to the garage where Bucky pulls the keys to the motorbike.
"Where're we going?" Leia asks as he straps the basket onto the back.
"It's a surprise." His crystal eyes glimmer excitedly.
He mounts the bike and Leia sits behind him. Her arms wrap securely around his waist as he revs the engine. The sleek bike moves slowly out of the garage before picking up speed on the open road. There aren't many people out just yet, only those leaving for work and traveling to the airport.
Leia rests her head against Bucky's shoulder as the wind whips around them, pushing their hair back. The further they drive the more Leia can smell the ocean. It's crisp and unique smell. The last time she can recall going to the beach was when she was very little. So when Bucky stops the bike in the small parking bay that overlooks the sand a smile crawls over her lips.

"Come on." Bucky takes her hand in his and they walk down the small path onto the sand. The beach is deserted and the sky is getting less dark by the second.
Bucky stops on a nice patch of sand and reaches into the basket. He pulls out a rug which Leia helps splay out on the ground. They sit down and Leia slips off her shoes, burying her feet in the sand. The feeling is almost foreign to her, given the amount of time since she'd last felt it. She closes her eyes and lets the morning breeze envelope her. It's warm but nice.

"Are you okay?" Bucky's voice breaks her thoughts.
"Yeah." She smiles looking at him. "Are you?"
"Never better." He kisses her temple with a cheesy smile on his lips.
Bucky wraps his arm around her shoulder and holds her tight. Leia grasps his left hand in her right one, letting her fingers run over the cool metal as they watch the now orange horizon. The morning sun slowly rises up over the ocean's horizon, casting colors of orange, red and yellow over its surroundings.

The pair say nothing at all, just sit and watches the peaceful sun rise. Bucky loves these moments, they're the ones he treasures most.
Soon the sky is light and the sun is high.
"You hungry?" Bucky asks breaking the silence.
"Yes." Leia smiles brightly.
"Good, cause I brought breakfast." He grins pulling out different things from the picnic basket. There's a tall flask of orange juice and cups, croissants and a plethora of different fruits like strawberries, blueberries and grapes.
"Bucky this is incredible! Did you do all this by yourself?" Leia exclaims blown away by his efforts.
"Yeah I did." Bucky smiles and she looks at him with a proud grin.
"You're amazing." She says picking up a croissant.

Their breakfast is incredible and Leia's blown away by the effort Bucky put into everything. She really got lucky with him. The weather gets warmer and warmer as the minutes go by but still no one comes by the beach. Leia doesn't mind though, she likes being alone with Bucky.

"The last time I came to the beach I think I was maybe ten." She says to Bucky.
"I think I came in '42." Bucky smiles.
"It hasn't changed much." Leia states.
"One of the only things that hasn't." He chuckles.
"I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to it."
"Me either.. but, not like there's anything we can do."
"That's right." Leia laughs.
"I'm glad you're here with me. So we can figure it out together." Bucky's words make Leia's heart melt.
She doesn't say anything, just places a kiss on his lips gently. His hand flies up to her jaw holding her tenderly.
"I love you." He mumbles against her lips and she repeats it with ease.