24. Remembering 1943

"Are you alrig- Steve!" Leia exclaims seeing two men walking into the hospital tent. Leia greets the soon to be captain and Bucky's eyes follow the unfamiliar woman.
"Ahem." A cough interrupts Leia and Steve's conversation.
Leia finally looks at the man to Steve's left.
"This is James Buchanan Barnes." Steve introduces her to the man.
"Hello." Leia holds her hand out and the man shakes it lightly.
"Hi."

Suddenly Leia's sitting down over the other side of the tent reading the paper.
"Hello?" Bucky's voice interrupts her thoughts.
"Hi Bucky." She smiles standing up to meet the tall man.
"My arm doesn't feel quite right." Bucky says and Leia holds her hand up to heal it. Bucky watches curiously as she goes about the process.

Leia and Bucky see themselves interacting. Bucky would come into the hospital tent each day with a new injury. A gash on his hand, a lump on the back of his head from hitting it on his bunk, a fat lip from biting it and a black eye. And each time Leia healed him. They sit and converse afterwards telling each other lots of things about themselves.

Bucky sees himself dragging Steve to the hospital tent. He asks him to kick him in the ankle so he can go see Leia. After hesitation he finally does it.
After healing Bucky, Leia feels a great deal closer to him for some reason.

Then it cuts to what looks to be a pub. Bucky twirls Leia in and out of his arms as they dance along to the music.
"We should do this more often." Bucky smiles.
"We should." Leia returns it.

Then again Leia is standing back in the hospital tent. She feels sadness on her shoulders as she hears footsteps.
"Leia?" Bucky says.
"Bucky." She sighs meeting him. He's holding his wrist and there's tiny diagonal slashes along his forearm. "Bucky please stop hurting yourself." Leia says.
"Not if it means I don't get to see you." Bucky says and Leia's heart swells.

Bucky sees Leia looking at him, before she engulfs him in a hug.
"Please be safe." She whispers into his neck.
"I will, I promise." He tells her. Then he sees himself falling, surrounded by snow.

Leia sees Steve walking up the gravel path with a saddened look on his face.
"H-he's gone." Steve looks down.
"What." She barely manages to say. She feels her heart completely breaking in two as she runs away.

Bucky looks around the white room. His vision is hazy and there's an immense pain in his left arm. He yells out continually, praying one of the men around him would do something. Then Leia sees him, her best friend, through the glass window. She runs away from the men holding her screaming out for him. Bucky sees her too and he calls out her name lowly and tiredly. He feels himself slipping away until tingles engulf his body and lastly his severed arm. But all of a sudden they're ripped apart.

And then they see themselves in another white room. Only this one has a small bed.
"Leia." Bucky breathes out and scrambles up from the floor.
"Bucky." Her eyes are teary as they embrace each other. They sit down and Leia rests her head on his shoulder.
"Will you show me your magic, like you used to do." Bucky's voice is low and quiet. He's exhausted. Leia nods and raises her hand, emitting the currents from her palm, casting different shapes. Bucky watches her, totally in awe of the woman next to him.

Then the door opens and three men walk inside.
Bucky stands in front of Leia protectively. He doesn't want anything to happen to her. Leia steps around him and hugs Bucky as tight as she can.
"Please don't take her." Bucky's cheeks are wet with tears as are Leia's.

One of the men grabs Leia and pulls her off Bucky aggressively.
"No!"
"Leia!" Bucky yells.
"Bucky no!" Leia sees the other men holding him back as she's dragged away.
"Let her stay!" Bucky cries out trying to get free.
"I love you." Leia yells towards him.
"I love you more." Bucky yells back watching her being pulled from the room.
"Bucky!" "Leia!" They both yell at the top of their lungs.