63. The Competition

The pair walk around the corner and through the open doors into the party.
"Leia! Bucky!!" Steve yells capturing most people's attention in the room. The music still plays but everyone's chatter dulls. Leia feels everyone's eyes on her and she feels her chest tighten quickly. She keeps the bright smile glued to her lips. Everyone looks at the pair who just arrived with wide eyes. They sure know how to make an entrance.
"Hi!" Leia hugs Steve as he approaches the pair. Bucky hugs him too quickly.
"God you guys look great!" Steve blurts.
"Sorry we're late." Bucky says.
"You're here now! Come on!" Steve ushers them to join everyone and the populations chatter starts again.

Leia's chest releases seeing as everyone goes back to themselves and the people around them.
"Leia's here! We can finally get the party started!!" Tony yells out, very clearly drunk already. The music thumps around them instantly.
"Hi Tony." She laughs in amusement. Leia looks around spying a few familiar faces.
"Nebula! Rocket!" She grins warming up seeing people she recognizes.
"Hiya Blue." Rocket grins giving her a fist bump.
"I didn't know you guys were coming. Where's the rest of the Guardians?"
"You called?" Quills voice enters the conversation.
"Hey!" Leia grins.

Bucky and Leia say hi to everyone they know and thankfully seeing her friends calms Leia's anxiety.
"Hey Peter!" Leia sits down next to the spider boy.
"Hi." He smiles at her.
"How are you?"
"I'm good, what about you?"
"I'm great." Leia can't keep the smile of her lips. Thor runs over and plants himself in between Leia and Peter. He slings his arms over both of their shoulders with a wide grin.
"Spiderling! Leia! How are we?!" The god says with a jolly tone.
"Pretty good Thor." Leia says with a chuckle at his excitable manner.
"This party's much better than the ones at school." Peter admits.
"That's because we're cooler than your school friends! Here try some of this!" Thor hands out a large flask to Peter.
"Thor no! He's seventeen!" Leia says before Peter can grasp it.
"Ah! I had my first sip of ale as a child. It's a right of passage in Asgard! Ask Loki, he'll tell you." Thor grins proudly. Leia hands the flask back to Thor hoping he won't offer it to Peter again throughout the night.
"Is May here?" Leia asks.
"You're about the tenth person that's asked me that tonight!" Peter exclaims. "I think she's talking to Pepper somewhere."
Leia chuckles. "Maybe I should go tell her to keep an eye on you."
"I'm not a little kid Leia." Peter groans exasperated.
"I'm like six times your age Peter!" She jokes standing up. "I'm gonna go say hey to some more people! Have fun! And stay away from Thor!" Leia waves walking across the room to where Pepper stands.
"My god Leia, you look incredible!!" Pepper exclaims seeing her walking her way.
"Aw thank you, so do you momma. Speaking of, who's looking after Morgan tonight?"
"Oh Happy volunteered, he didn't want to come to another one of Tony's parties cause he knows how they can be sometimes." Pepper jokes. "And I'm here babysitting Tony, I can't catch a break!"
"My ears are burning ladies, what're you saying about me?" Tony interrupts their conversation.
"Oh nothing, don't worry about it." Pepper and Leia both wave him off.
"Obviously my dashing good looks and extraordinary personality!" Tony sings running away before the women can protest.
"I better go follow him, duty calls." Pepper laughs following her husband.

"Leia!" Wanda calls out.
"Hey! You look gorgeous!" Leia hugs her quickly.
"I saw you walk in with Bucky, oh my god! You guys are so hot!"
Leia just laughs taking the compliment. "Looks like we swapped colours tonight." Leia gestures towards Wanda's blue dress and her own red one.
"We did! We should swap more often, red suits you!" She says with a cheeky wink. "I usually wouldn't wear something like this but I decided it's time to get back in the game so yeah..."
"Have you got your eye on someone in particular?" Leia raises her brow.
"Oh I don't know... maybe."
"Oh my gosh tell me everything!" Leia's eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning.
"Hey ladies!" Steve comes over slightly wobbly on his feet.
"Oh goodness." Wanda rolls her eyes with a smile. "I'm going to get a drink."
"You alright Steve?" She asks and Steve salutes her making her laugh hysterically. "I'll take that as a no then."
"No I'm fine." His eyes are slightly glassy. "Thor gave me some of his Asgardian Elixir. That shits crazy!"
"Oh dear god."
"Don't worry, it'll wear off soon anyway." Steve acknowledges his serum's affiliated side effects. Leia sees that he's already looking better. Suddenly Steve's phone buzzes and he eagerly picks it up to check the message.
"I've never seen you pick up a phone so fast, does someone need rescuing Cap?" Leia chuckles. Steve goes red looking up at her.
"I know that look, tell me all about her right now!" Leia demands reading him like a book.
He freezes not entirely sure what to say. Though when he sees her eager eyes he caves letting out a sigh. "Her name's Emma, I met her two weeks ago at a coffee shop." Steve fills her in.
"Are you gonna ask her to be your girlfriend?" Leia asks quickly.
"Leia we've only known each other for two weeks." Steve says and she gives him an 'I don't believe you' look.
"Fine, I asked her last weekend." Steve smile is laced with happiness.
"I knew it! I'm so happy for you! So why didn't you bring her tonight?"
"I didn't want to introduce her to my family too soon." Steve laughs. "And plus, you know how Tony's parties can be.."
"I actually don't but I'll take your word for it... So when can I meet her?" Leia asks eagerly.
"Hey!" Bucky wraps his arm around Leia's waist. "What're you guys talking about?"
Leia sees Steve visibly tense up and she knows he's not quite ready to tell Bucky yet. "Just chatting about life Buck." She nods at Steve and he sends her a thankful smile.
"Steve!" Someone calls out to the captain from within the crowd of people.
"I'll catch up with you guys later." He grins running off to those who called.
"Do you want something to drink?" Bucky asks her.
"No, I'm actually gonna go to the bathroom. Go have fun." She smiles hurrying away down the corridor.