28. Cryostasis

The pair hobble from the fight and can see the jet in the snowy distance, when a figure approaches them.
"Captain." T'Challa says. "Sergeant Barnes."
"Your highness." Steve huffs out of breath.
"I'd like to offer my apologies." T'Challa turns to a bloodied Bucky. "I realize that I was after the wrong man." Bucky just looks at him utterly exhausted. "We have resources in Wakanda. Resources that could potentially help you and Ms Callahan." The king says.
"Thank you." Steve is the only one to speak before T'Challa nods and walks away.

-

Leia's pacing around the Quinjet tears streaming down her cheeks. God what's taking them so long. Did he kill them. No Tony wouldn't kill Steve. But Bucky...No! She doesn't want to think about that.
Her hearts pounding and she can practically hear it thumping against her rib cage in the silence. The Quinjet door opening with a loud creak snaps her out of it. She holds her glowing hands out expecting the worst.
Instead she sees her companions. Leia blinks a few times to rid her eyes of the tears as the pair walk up into the jet. Only then does she see the state of them.

Steve's got cuts over his cheeks and his uniform has rips in it and he's lacking his shield. Then she sees Bucky and her eyes widen.
"Oh my god." She hurries over to them helping him down. His face is covered in drying blood, his pants have been scorched and most of all his metal arm's been completely blown off.
He groans as Steve puts him down onto one of the seats, stepping back. Bucky's head hangs low, feeling extremely weak.
"Bucky. Eyes open." Leia crouches in front of him. "Hey, look at me."

His glassy eyes lift up to her and tugs at her heart strings. Leia raises her hand and starts to heal his injuries. The scrapes and dried blood start to heal up, as well as his broken nose. She twirls her fingers down his neck and to his legs healing those too.
"I'm going to help Steve, okay." Leia whispers and Bucky nods lightly. She stands up and goes to Steve who's sitting down, breathing heavily. His shaky fingers claw at the strap of his helmet. "Hey, let me get it." Leia says quietly reaching for the buckle. Steve drops his hands exhausted as she unbuckles it, slowly pulling it from his head. Steve winces a little as she does.

She sees bruising and gashes along his cheeks. From her sitting position beside him she deploys the blue currents which curl into his skin. When they're healed Leia uses both hands for the rest of his body closing every gash and getting rid of all the lumps and bruises.
Leia looks up at the blonde man, her oldest friend, and he looks at her. Steve's eyes dart around her face and she sends him a friendly, but half hearted smile. She wants to ask about Tony but Leia knows it can't have gone well considering both their states.
"Thank you." He mumbles and Leia nods. The captain stands up and walks to the drivers seat, flicking different switches, getting the jet airborne.

Leia turns to Bucky just as he tries to get up also but he groans deeply, buckling over.
"Hey, hey." Leia runs over to him, gently pushing his shoulders backwards. She looks down at him trying to decipher the problem, when she sees his hand resting on his stomach. Leia reaches to the buttons on his vest and starts to undo them slowly. Bucky looks up at her with wide eyes. "Just relax." She whispers snapping the last closure. It opens up and she pulls the vest aside. He's wearing a shirt underneath that she lifts up slowly and carefully.

Leia stifles a gasp when she sees the state of his abdomen. There's multiple dark purple almost black bruises spreading over his stomach to form one big one. She runs her fingers over it as the currents form and Bucky winces a bit. He tips his head back squeezing his eyes shut. Leia draws her hand back once the bruising's gone, pulling his shirt down and buttoning the uniform. Bucky's eyes stay closed his chest rising and falling.
"Buck?" Leia grabs his only hand lightly. The soldier opens his eyes and looks down at her.

Bucky looks at her beautiful features, her stunning hair and mesmerizing blue eyes. He realizes at that moment that he truly meant what he said on the motorbike. Hell, he's always known it. Though she didn't say those three words back he senses it isn't because she doesn't, but because she can't seem to bring herself to say it. The last person she thought she loved beat her to a pulp daily. Bucky understands it's going to take some time. He smiles at her, squeezing her fingers gently. Both of them can hear Steve having a quiet conversation over the radio, but neither catch what about.