17. Bucharest

The light slowly starts to drop from the sky and I glance over at Bucky, who's eyes are closed and his lips are slightly parted. He looks so peaceful. All his features smoothen out and I know he's having a nightmare-less sleep... for once. When he's awake his brows stay furrowed and he's always watching his back. But in the prison of sleep he's content.

After a few hours I set the plane down in a foresty field about an hour walk from Bucharest, Romania. We'll be safe here. We can blend in with the public.
"Bucky." I nudge him awake and he mumbles, stirring. "We're here."
"Where are we?" He asks.
"Romania, we'll be safe." I say grabbing my bag and leaving the plane.

Bucky stands beside me about a hundred feet from the craft. "Do it." He says. I furrow my brow and send a ball of energy at the jet blowing it to pieces. No escape plan now.

We turn around and walk in the direction of Bucharest. With the compass from my old suit we travel north. The sun is setting lower in the sky as we walk for what feels like at least two hours.

I see lights in the distance and buildings and I know we're close. "C'mon." I say picking up the pace a little. The sky is picturesque, casting reflections of orange and fiery reds over the land.
The grassy field eventually turns into gravel and then into a bitumen road. Bucky grabs my arm pulling me back gently. He starts walking slower and more natural and I follow his moments. We need to blend in.
The sun has disappeared from the sky and the street lights are all that guides our way, and the occasional car headlights. I can't help but wonder where we're going to go.

I suddenly hear the screeching of tires against asphalt and a car zooms past us. My heart starts beating as I see the front tires turning left and right and left and right. Everything feels as if it's going in slow motion. The vehicle turns sharply and crashes into a tree on the side of the road. I see the front of the car crumple and the glass cracks. A small body flies through the windscreen shattering it completely.

My ears are ringing as I scream running over. Bucky clasps his hand around my wrist preventing me from moving but I rip away. He runs after me as I look in the car. There's a woman in the drivers seat bloodied but conscious. The passenger seat holds a young girl who's slumped over, limp.
"Get them out Bucky!" I scream ears still ringing. My feet carry me to the front of the car where I see a small child, a little boy, bleeding profusely.
His small body is twisted in a way that isn't natural and my heart shatters. I grab onto him taking him away from the car in case it goes up in flames.

"Hey buddy, you're going to be okay." I say to the lifeless kid. He lies on the ground and I immediately project the bright blue currents over his body. I hear footsteps and I look up to see Bucky running over. He has the teen girl slung over his shoulder and holds the woman with his other arm.
I heal the cuts and gashes over the little boys body. He can't be more than two or three years old. There's a massive slice through the top of his head and his blonde hair is soaked with blood. I focus my energy and close over the injury so you can no longer see his skull.
"Put her down." I demand and Bucky places the girl down next to the little boy. She's got cuts littering her face and a large gash on her neck I presume caused by the seatbelt. I keep one hand over the boy and my other goes to the girl. My eyes lock on the mother. She stares into space with a few cuts on her cheeks. She's in a total state of shock but I don't see any major injuries, plus she was able to walk with Bucky.

The girl's cuts close over and she slowly comes to. I bring both hands back to the little boy as, I assume, his sister wakes up. The kids arm pops back into place and I watch the last scrape close over on his chest. His clothes are torn to buggery but that's not something I can heal.
"C'mon buddy." I mumble waiting for him to come to.
The girl sits up and crouches in front of me looking at her brother. "Thommy!" She yells. The little boy slowly moves his head and opens his eyes.