Chapter six.

~~~The boat wreck, close to sundown~~~

John B stops the boat and lets the anchor down.

"The tanks are in the hold next to you, Kie." John B says. JJ stands up and helps her open it. Pope takes some tanks out for her and sits back down.

"Okay. This is empty. You took empty tanks?" Kie says looking at them. "Okay, this one's a quarter full. That's enough for one of us."

"Love it when a plan comes together." Pope says.

"Does anybody know how to dive?" Kie asked. "Anybody?"

"It's kind of a Kook sport." JJ replies.

"I read about it." Pope says.

"Great, Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die." Kie says.

"Look, y-you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?" JJ asks.

"Well, if you come up too, fast nitrogen gets in your blood, and you get the bends." Pope says.

"Bends like bend over and-" JJ says arching his back.

"The bends kill you." Pope cuts him off.

"Right." JJ says standing up straight.

"I can- I can dive." John B says.

"Yeah, you can dive. I'm cool with that." JJ says.

"Just don't die." Ky says.

"Since when can you dive?" Kie asks.

"I'll do it. It's fine." John B says.

"Let me do some calculations real quick." Pope said. "Okay so that boat's about 30 feet down."

"Okay." JJ says.

"Which means you need to make your safety stop at about ten feet. For two minutes." Pope says. Kie takes her shirt off and jumps in the water. "What was that all about?"

"I don't know, but I liked it. A lot." JJ says and Ky smacks his arm. John B clears his throat. "So, yeah, uh, when you, when you're down there, you look for the cargo hold, stick this thing inside, and twist and pull, okay?"

"Stick in the hole, twist and pull." John B says.

"Yeah. My dad moved some weight back in the day." JJ says.

"Who didn't?" Pope asks.

"Hey. I tied my t-shirt to the anchor chain about ten feet down. It's where you need to do your safety stop." Kie says before getting back on the boat.

"Alright, keep an eye on this. You need to make sure you have enough air to decompress." Pope says.

"How much do I need?" John B asks.

"Unclear, breathe as little as possible." Pope says.

"Zen, think zen, you know." JJ said before imitating how he should breathe.

"Hey, if we get caught out here in the marsh we're basically screwed." Pope said. "Better get a move on." Kie kisses John B's cheek.

"Diver down?" John B asks.

"Diver down." Kie says. John B puts the scuba mask over his face and drops into the water.

"Diver down." Pope says. John B salutes us before going under the water.

"See ya, dude." JJ says.

~

"And then the- wait we forgot the sky blue." Ky says.