Chapter fifty-three.

"Okay, okay, so what's your plan? You gonna storm a jail, guns a-blazing?" Pope asks.

"Look, Pope, all I'm trying to get you to understand is they got our boy. Now, are we just gonna sit here and do nothing? No! We're gonna go get his ass. We're gonna do something about it!" JJ yells.

"JJ, we're not storming a jail. It's not happening." Pope says.

"No, fine, man. Sit in your comfy chair. Do nothing. I'm gonna see what I can do. Make something happen, even if I have to do it by myself." JJ says.

"Okay." Kie says before JJ walks out of the house. Ky stands up and pats my shoulder before leaving with JJ on his motorcycle.

"Should we be worried?" Pope asks.

"Yes, for sure." Kie answers.

"Look, I'm gonna hit my parents, and I'm gonna see if I can get money for a lawyer." Kie says.

"John B has a public defender. He doesn't need that now." Pope says.

"Are you crazy? Justice costs money." Kie says as I walk into the other room with Sarah.

"You're right. So I'm gonna dig in hard into anything I can find out about this key, because that tape Limbrey has, that's exculpatory evidence. That can exonerate John B." Pope says.

"Yeah, we gotta try." Kie says.

"Hey, Pogie. Sticking with me today?" Sarah asks.

"You know it, Kookie." I say.

"Can I come, too?" Presley asks.

"I have a better idea. I was talking to Roark after the trial and he said that there's people in his apartment having water balloon fights." I say.

"I wanna have a water balloon fight." Presley says.

"If I bring you there, you have to promise you'll give the biggest hug when I come back for you." I say.

"I promise." Presley says.

~~~Detention Center, Ky's POV~~~

We finally pull up to the prison. JJ had to stop and change his clothes first of course. He gets off the motorcycle and puts a toothpick in his mouth looking around.

"Okay, Mr. Cool Guy. Let's go." I say. He puts his headphones on and starts up his music and I roll my eyes as we walk to the door. We see two officers walking out the doors. JJ stands straight saluting them. They walk right past him and he flips them off as we walk into the building to the front desk.

"I'm here to see John B Routledge!" JJ yells. I smack my palm to my forehead.

"No music, and get rid of the toothpick." Officer Lewis says.

"I can't hear what you're saying, man, all right? These things are on full blast. That's what I said. I'm here to see John B Routledge." JJ says. I pinch the bridge of my nose with my thumb and middle finger. Lewis motions for JJ to take off his headphones, take out the toothpick, and cut it out.

"Wait. Music?" JJ asks pointing to the headphones. Lewis nods. "Oh!" Lewis does the motion again as JJ puts the headphones around his neck. "I mean, I thought it was a free country and all, but, uh, I guess you don't like freedom very much, now do you, cupcake?" He turns off the music. Lewis pushes JJ up against a wall.

"Uh, not worth it." Plumb says.

"Good to see you, Plumb. Just nice to have something in your mouth. You know?" JJ asks throwing the toothpick on the floor.