Chapter eight.

"The office." John B says.

"What?" Pope asks.

"My dad. My dad's office." John B says walking away. My dad was a history buff. When he found out that there was a boat that sank with 600 millions dollars worth of gold on it, he started searching for it. It's no question that we're more poverty stricken than others, so my dad went out to look for this gold. He did research and treasure hunts and stuff so he can find this gold and use it to give me and John B a better life. He spent most of his time on this. When he went missing nine months ago he was looking for the gold that day. Nobody wants to believe him that it's out there somewhere. We all called him crazy for thinking he can find it. But if it was out there one day and nobody ever found it, where would it be now? "He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research." John B explains as we all walk inside to the office. "We used to laugh at him all the time about it like he was actually gonna find it. But now that he's gone, I've just kinda.. I just left it as he kept it." He plays with his keys.

"Yeah, for when he gets back." Kie says.

"Yeah." John B says unlocking the door and walking in.

"I've slept over here like 600 times and I've never seen this door open." Pope says.

"Mm-hmm." Kie hums in agreement. We all look around at different stuff.

"Here, look." John B said. "This is the original owner, right here." He brings a bulletin board off the wall and putting it on a pile of papers and stuff.

"K. Robert Q. Routledge, 1880-1920." Kie said. "There's the lucky compass right there."

"Actually, um he was shot after he bought it." John B says.

"Then the compass was shipped back to Henry. Henry was killed in a crop-dusting accident when he had the compass." John B said. "After he died, the compass was given to Stephen, Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam."

"Let me guess he died in action, right?" JJ asks.

"Sort of." John B answers.

"No. Not at all." I answer.

"Uh, actually he was killed by a banana truck in- in country. Uh, anyways after that, Stephen passed the compass down to him, my dad." John B says.

"Mm, sounds like there's a reoccurring theme here." JJ says.

"Yeah, um, you have a death compass." Pope says.

"No, I do not." John B says.

"You have a death compass." Pope says.

"Seriously dude? You should just get rid of it." JJ said. "It's cursed and it's made it's way back to you, and- and Bubbles."

"How can this be a death compass if my dad is still alive?" I ask.

"Um, Kit-Ka-." Ky says and JJ covers her mouth.

"Look, my dad used to talk to about this compartment in here. Soldiers used to hide secret notes." John B says opening the compass.

"What's that?" Kie asks.

"That wasn't there before." John B says.

"Did Dad write that?" I ask looking at the compass. 'Redfield' is engraved inside the compass.

"Yeah. This is my dad's handwriting. This our dad's handwriting." John B says.

"How could you know that?" Pope asks.

"Because he does these weird Rs with the- see it." John B says showing Pope the compass.

"Can I see it?" JJ asks. He tilts the compass so JJ can see it too. JJ takes it from him. "Red- Rout- No, I think that's an A." JJ says.