Chapter nine.

"Right. Here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna post up and look for bogeys, okay?" John B says to JJ.

"Wait.. why me?" JJ asks.

"Because you're not coming." Pope answers.

"Why?" JJ asks defensively.

"Look, JJ. There are independent and there are dependent variables and you're an independent variable." Pope says.

"Shut up. Shut up." JJ screams as Pope says, "We don't know what you're gonna do."

"Just listen to me for a second. Just listen." John B says.

"Pope, Tobi, you stand look out with JJ. Okay?" John B asks.

"Why not just Tobi?" Pope asks.

"Ky can stay, too." Kie says.

"No, I'm going in." Ky says.

"I'll go with him. If too many of us go in we can be in big trouble." Kie says.

"That's why half of us will be outside." Ky says.

"Half plus one." Kie says.

"I'm going in." Ky says.

"Um.." John B starts and JJ and Pope shake their heads 'no'.

"We don't want you in there." Kie says.

"John B?" Ky asks.

"I-." John B starts looking at Kie. She raises her eyebrows and he looks at Ky. She tilts her head. "Mm." He stands behind me and shoves his head into my shoulder.

"Just tell me." I say.

"I do want her in there." John B whispers.

"She's in." I say and Kie rolls her eyes.

"If we get split up we meet back at JJ's house." John B says.

"Great." Kie said before they walked away.

"I'm gonna go work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum." Pope says.

"Alright, would you just shut up already?" JJ asks. I go sit in the back of the Twinkie. "What's wrong?"

"She just gets on my nerves. You know, if it wasn't for me, she wouldn't be in this group. One of rules is if one person votes no to a member they shouldn't be allowed to join. Ky voted no but I asked Kie to come back. You guys missed her and I just feel like I'm a bad friend. Ky is miserable and it's all my fault." I cry and JJ hugs me.

"You're not a bad friend, B. You're the best. Maybe there's a way we can make her happy, again." JJ says.

"How? I don't even know her anymore." I cry.

"You'll figure it out. You always do." JJ says. I hug him back shoving my head into his chest. He kisses my forehead and I smile.

JJ's POV

I feel her smiling and I lay my head on hers smiling, too.

"Hey." I say. She looks up at me and I wipe her tears.

"Oh shit." Pope says. "Oh, shit" is right. I totally forgot he was here.

"What?" I ask.

"Cops." Pope says as he runs to the van. I push B in and Pope and I get in the front.