Chapter forty-eight.

~~~The Repair Place, JJ's POV~~~

"It could be anything." The man says.

"I definitely think it's the intake valve." Pope says.

"Yeah, that." Bubbles says.

"Look, I can put a rush on it, but it's gonna cost you a little extra." The man says. I walk over to the Kie who's in the bed of another truck.

"Middle of nowhere." I muttered. "Dude's in heaven right now. "Gotta know the calibration point before you do anything with the intake valve, JJ. You do the-" Hey. You all right?"

"My mom is so worried that I'm gonna be a Pogue that she's willing to send me to boarding school." Kie says.

"Well, I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the wrong crowd, Kie." I say.

"I mean, I'm not gonna go. It's too late anyway. I already am who I am." Kie says.

"Ain't all that bad. Just look at that guy over there. He would do anything for us. And the girl next to him. Despite what you may think, she would too. Those are some Pogues if I've ever seen any. Bone-deep. That's just one man's opinion, though." I say taking a sip from the flask.

~~~

Kie takes the flask from my hand and puts it to the side.

"Goodnight, everyone." Pope says. Kie kisses him on the cheek and lies down.

"Goodnight." Kie says. I look to the other side of me and see Bubbles sleeping so peacefully.

~~~

"No!" Bubbles screams sitting up. She sighs and takes a few deep breaths before starting to cry.

"B?" I ask. She pauses for a second before wiping her tears and looking over at me.

"What's up?" She asks.

~

"How long have the nightmares been going on?" I ask.

"Since he left. You'd think they stopped by now." She chuckles a little. "It's just kinda lonely. Back at the palace, I'd wake up and Topper'd be sitting next to me and he'd ask me about it. I'd tell him that it was different. But they're all just the same. Almost an exact replay of the whole day."

"Is there anything different in this one?" I ask.

"Yeah." She answered. "Actually."

"What is it?" I ask.

"You were the one that comforted me." She says.

"B, I-" I start.

"We were all going through it, JJ. He just got there first." She says. I nod and look away. Which was probably a good thing. She hasn't looked at me since she stopped crying. "Why did we break up JJ?" She asked. "Just be honest with me. I don't even want to get back together I just wanna know. I wanna know the truth. I mean, we were perfect. We were happy. Besides the fact that we weren't out yet everything was okay. Pope loved it which is weird because I thought he was a stickler for the rules but he did whatever he could to make sure we had some free time together. Presley loved it. I think he loved it more than we did. Sarah was even okay with it. She knew from the beginning that we were hiding something. Sure when I told her she said it was weird because you weren't my type but that's what everybody.. said except me. I didn't care. I didn't even know I had a type. But it all went down the drain. It failed and it failed miserably. And I still don't know why. And maybe I won't understand it. But I just want a reason. A truthful reason." I stay silent for a little trying to take in everything she just said and come up with something to say back without sounding like an idiot.