Chapter forty-five.

"We're not making this up, Shoupe!" JJ yells.

"It's not a random killing spree. Gavin was his pilot! Okay, he was- he was paying him hush money because he was on the tarmac that day." Pope explains.

"Gavin was blackmailing Ward because he had the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin." Kie explains.

"And then, he called him here and tried to pay him off. But it wasn't enough, and then so he shot him." JJ says.

"Exactly." Pope says.

"Alright, with the murder weapon." JJ says.

"How do you know that?" Shoupe asks.

"Pope did this thing with his phone. He, like, put it in his car and-" Kie explains.

"I heard their whole conversation." Pope says.

"You wiretapped him?" Shoupe asks.

"No." Pope answers.

"No." JJ answers.

"Is that bad?" Kie asks.

"Stop. Just stop. I've had enough." Shoupe says.

"What are you talking about, Shoupe? Are you gonna look the other way again?" JJ asks as Shoupe walks away and Kie starts going after him.

"You ever heard about the boy who cried wolf?" Shoupe asks.

"Shoupe, how many times until you believe us?" JJ asks as we all start following Shoupe.

"Why would we make this up?" Kie asks.

"Why can't you believe us for once?" JJ asks.

"Why would we lie? Shoupe, I know it sounds crazy. I know that!" Kie says.

"Okay, there's nothing up there, alright? False alarm. Let's all go home." Shoupe says.

"No, no, please don't go home. No. Why would we make this up?" Kie asks as Shoupe says something to the other officers waving them off. "Can you just do your job for like 20 minutes?"

"Hey. I- I know.." Shoupe starts.

"Just listen. It makes sense!" Kie whines.

"I know you're upset. And I know you think your friend was innocent." Shoupe says.

"He is!" Kie says.

"But you weren't there." Shoupe said. "The only actual witnesses who are above ground say the exact opposite. All right? And both of them have a hell of a lot more credibility than any of you right now. I saw your little art project on Ward's wall. Do not do that again."

"What art project?" I ask.

"Oh, come on." Kie says.

"Kie, seriously?" I ask.

"All right? Gonna make things a lot harder for the both of us." Shoupe says. A car starts. "Go home." Shoupe waves them off.

"At least- at least look for him! Someone died tonight!" Kie says.

"Get on home to your parents now." Shoupe says.

"Shoupe, I was there. I heard the whole thing I couldn't see it but I heard it." I say.

"Eyewitnesses. We need eyewitnesses." Shoupe says.

"I know he did this stuff today. I saw him shoot. I heard the gunshots." I say.

"You gonna tell me he's the reason your bleeding right now?" Shoupe asks.

"No, that's Kie's fault. When Pope dropped the camera it hit me in the face." I explain. Shoupe gets in the car. "Shoupe." He starts the car and pulls off.