Chapter forty-seven.

~~~The library~~~

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asks as we walk into the library.

"I don't know." Kie answers.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asks as the librarian shushes us.

"You know this was probably the dumbest decision you've ever made. Why would you bring us to talk in the library?" Ky asks.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane." Kie whispers.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this." Pope says. He hands the envelope to JJ. "Read it." JJ pulls a letter out and starts looking at it.

"Out loud." Kie says.

"I can't read cursive." JJ whispers. Kie takes the letter from him.

"Okay, "Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey."" Kie read. "What the-."

"Charleston?" JJ asks.

"It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry. How will we get there tonight?" Pope asks.

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ whispers.

"I have a free period." Kie says.

""Material evidence"? What does that even mean, "material evidence"?" JJ asks.

"It means he can clear John B." Kie says.

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston." JJ says.

"JJ, we're in a library." I say.

"I gotta tell my mom." Kie says as Pope and Ky look up Limbrey on the computer. "Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe."

"Definitely not." I say.

"Yeah. No duh." JJ says.

"I thought he was better than that." I say. Pope sighs.

"What?" Kie asks.

"I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant." Pope says.

~~~The Château~~~

"Okay, so we all know the plan now?" Pope asks.

"Yeah." I answer.

"Sure." Ky says.

"And now?" Kie asks.

"The only person we have to break the news to.." Pope says. We all look over at Presley.

"I'll do it." I say.

"I should probably do it, too." JJ says. He stands up and grabs my hand pulling me up off the couch. We go outside and sit down on the hammock that Presley was laying on with all his toys.

"Hey, buddy." I say.

"Do you wanna play toys with me?" Presley asks.

"Actually, bubs, we need to talk to you." JJ says.

"About what?" Presley asks.

"Um, me and JJ are gonna go away for a little while." I say.

"Are you gonna leave me with Kie's parents, again?" Presley asks.

"No." JJ answers.

"Mr. Heyward? I love Mr. Heyward." Presley says.

"No, pea." I say.