1

Summer of 92' Kurt and Courtney were having marital troubles(Idk if it was true but it is now)

I was bored with my new life in Washington, working a dead end job at a diner. Drunkards all hours of the day sat at the bar. I barely got minimum wage to pay for my run down apartment across town. No car, No relatives or friends, All I have is my dog and the music. I was leaning against the counter as the bell signalling the door opened chimed. I stood up immediatly, A man with blonde hair came in. He strode towards the counter and sat on a barstool. He slouched terribly. I grabbed a menu and handed it to him silently. Pretty self explanitory I would say.

"I'd just like a water." The man said politely as he handed the menu back to me. I put it back down under the counter. I pulled a cup up to the tap and filled it with cold water. I added ice to it from the machine beside it. I handed it to the man.

"Thank you, Can i get your name?"He asked. Oh god,I thought. He's going to tell my manager I'm not talking. Its not my fault I have social anxieties, Mr. Dictator. I rubbed my sweaty hands on my apron.

"Ruby." I stated holding out my hand for him to shake. He obliged. He looked at the clock and his eyes widened. He stayed for another ten minutes, writing something on a napkin and then he pulled out something from his wallet. He left it on top of the napkin and left. I was curious, I walked over and picked up the note first.

"Hello Ruby, I found your service excellent. Although you didnt seem very talkative, that's okay neither am I. I have created a map of sorts of which the places I am staying. Feel free to drop by any of them at any time. I'm usually anywhere around there. Anyways, The 5 dollars is for you because I know how terrible waitresses get paid. Thought I'd be nice." It read. 'Wow this guy stays alot of places' I thought.

"RUUUUUUUBYYYYYY!" My sort of friend cried out.

"WHAAAAAAAT!" I said mocking his tone.

"YOUUR SHIFFFTS OVERRRR" He giggled after sounding the same.

"Oh good." I said as I took off my apron. I grabbed my money from tips and headed out the door. The brisk air hit my face. It was oddly cold that day. I pulled my old rugged sweater around me. My Charles Manson look alike of a friend came up behind me and screamed. Then he began running ahead of me. I brushed it off. It was quite normal considering Ricky was as crazy as he was. I checked my watch, 4:36. Not to get dark for another 5 hours. I decided to stop by my apartment to let my dog, Hendric, out. And to also change out of my work clothes before finding the guy. I walked fast, The sidewalk was slick with rain. The sky was cloudy and it was humid. There were a couple of homeless people digging through a trash can. "The garbage pickers of americaaa" I started singing. The humerous voice of Charles Manson filled my brain as I laughed. I walked a bit faster wanting to get home quickly.

"Don't do anything illegal!" I hissed at the neighborhood children. They all thought I was some sort of satan worshipping, drug abuser, alcoholic. Which was slightly true. I walked up the front steps of the grafitti ridden apartment building I lived in. I opened my door with a credit card, I lost my key and a locksmith was too expensive. I opened the door to see my big German Shepard lying on the couch "Watching" Bill O'reilly. He perked up when he saw me. I shut the door behind me and took off my chuck taylors. I walked across the livingroom to a closet where my clothes were kept. I grabbed a random t-shirt and a long patchwork skirt. I stripped myself of my work clothes and changed into more comfortable items. Hendric was waiting patiently with his leash in his mouth. Smart dog I thought. I hooked the leash on him as I tied up my beat up chuck taylors. I opened the door and he waited for me to walk out. We walked until he was finished and went back in the apartment.

"Alright, don't go ape while I'm gone. If I'm not back by 11 call the police. "I joked with my dog. I shut and locked the door. You'd think if someone heard a big German Shepard behind a door they wouldn't rob the house. That's not the case. I pulled up my skirt to walk when I got out of the stairwell. The ground was wet. It had stopped raining. I decided to start walking toward the bridge. I was walking for a few minutes until I found the bridge I had seen a few times. I heard a guitar and a echoey voice. Singing a song I recognized,
"And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders"
I recognized the voice to be the mans. I walked towards him. I was still of a great distance, my footsteps were becoming slightly more prominent.