58

Someone knocked on the door.
"Who is it?" I asked.
"Kurt." I heard him say. I left my burning cigarette on the table in the ash tray and opened the door. I went back outside. I ignored him as he tried to make conversation. He sat beside me on the double chair and tried to kiss my neck.

"You reek of vodka, leave me the fuck alone." I said angrily. He drew back into the room. He sat on the bed watching tv, but watching me from the corner of his eye. I chain smoked, it must've been a few hours later. I ran out of cigarettes.
"Ruby please come inside." He said as he opened the balcony door. He wasn't as drunk anymore. I shook my head.
"I know." I said quietly.
"What? That I did coke?" He said. I shook my head.
"No, but thanks for telling me." I said.
"Then what." He said.
"Rio took me to the party you were at." I said coldly.
"Shit." He said. He ran his fingers through his hair. I didn't know whether to scream at him or run to river's room so he could comfort me while I cried. Tears blurred my vision but I blinked them back.
"It's taking everything in me not to scream at you and then push you over that railing." I said coldly. He backed away from it and closer to the room.
"Scream at me." He said. I happily agreed.

"Do you know how much I trusted you?" I asked him.
"I uprooted my life twice for you." I said.
"I thought you loved me." I said as my voice broke. I got angry again as my hand touched my stomach.
"You ruined my only sense of family. You were all I had in that sense. You ruined our family. This child is not going to have a father. They will have a...cretin!"I yelled. That's what made him break. My heart didn't break for him like it did all the other times he cried. His hand gripped his hair and his tears streamed down his cheeks. It was a silent, innocent cry, borderline sweet.
"I can't..." He started.
"I can't not have a relationship with both of my children." He said as he got up and walked towards the railing.
"Kurt I don't know what you're thinking, but if you're planning on doing something dumb, you will never even meet our baby." I said. Kurt walked back against the glass door and cried some more. I put my hand on my stomach. I felt a heartbeat
"Kurt come here." I ordered. He dried his tears and sat beside me. I put his hand on my stomach and he smiled.
"are you sure it's not yours?" He asked. I put his other hand on my neck.

"They're different." He said with a grin. It was the happiest I had ever seen him.
"You've been smoking." He said with his eyes widening. I sighed.
"I said I wouldn't, you just stressed me out so much. " I said.
"So...I could have killed our baby." He said sadly.
"It's still alive. It's just a higher chance of miscarriage." I said quietly. He looked at his watch. It was almost 11.
"I'm going to go sleep in River's room. Don't do anything dumb." I said as I opened the door. He nodded.
"Goodnight."