88

Kurt didn't come back.

Dusk turned to dawn, and then to dusk again. That cycle repeated five times.

Five days since I had seen him, I began worrying.

I had been worrying since the first moment he left, since the moments prior.

But then I began to panic.

"He'll come back, he's a grown man, he can take care of himself." Billie Joe tried to reassure me. I hadn't showered, I had hardly left the spot on the couch that River had dragged me to.

"The search for rockstar Kurt Cobain continues after he disappeared from his Lake Washington home late Wednesday. If you have any leads, please tip off the Seattle police department." The news anchor said as she aligned her papers. She switched stories immediately.

How did they find out? We hadn't reported it to the police.

"That's creepy." I said to the man at my side, Billie Joe's green eyes focused on the news anchor, on the photo of my husband.
"Did you tell anyone?" He asked.
I shook my head.

"I don't think Rio did either." I sighed.

"What are you afraid of?" I asked Billie Joe.
"Spiders... That's it." He said. 
"I'm scared of spiders too. Right now I am fucking terrified that Kurt isn't going to come home." I sighed. Billie Joe placed a careful hand on my shoulder.
"What do you think happened to him?" He asked.
"He could be dead, he could be cold somewhere. He didn't bring a coat or his wallet. He's fucked." I sighed. Billie Joe sighed too, his shoulders slouched.
"You eaten?" He asked quietly.
"Like once." I shut my eyes.
"Go get dressed, I wanna take you out to eat." He smiled.

"Billie I don't feel like leaving." I sighed.
"Don't make me dress you myself, you know I will." He threatened jokingly. I nudged him with my elbow as I got up.

I went into the room that Kurt had been sleeping in those prior nights, before he had gone away. I threw on one of his t-shirts, then a flannel, then a sweater. I didn't have jeans that would protect my legs from the cold, rips in knees. I would tough it out. I tied my shoes haphazardly.
"Where's rio?" I asked Billie once we were together again.

"Last I saw him in the back yard." He said.  Looked out the kitchen window, sure enough, the Florida grown boy was playing in the snow with my dog. I opened the back door.
"Ri0!" I yelled. He looked up and began bounding towards me. Him and my dog both jumped on me. I shut the door behind them and locked it.
"It's great seeing you up and about." Rio smiled warming his hands within my sweater on my hips.
"Billie Joe is making me go out to eat with him. Wanna come?" I asked.
"Hey I am always up for food." He smiled.