82

In the car on the way home Billie was silent. The CD player in his car played some punk band that I didn't know. His small hands gripped the steering wheel until he had white knuckles.  Courtney was taking the baby, Kurt was going back to rehab. River sat in the back seat, his head against the window looking out at Seattle, and me, in the front seat. Corin's mother had a long drive home so she left early.
"Do you want me to stay with you... Or?" Billie asked quietly.
"I don't want you to have to pay for a hotel." I said quietly. He smiled.
"Alright."

After we had returned to the Lake Washington house the world seemed dreary once again. Into the living room where I would have taken my last breath, River turned the light on. We sat awkwardly watching television and petting the various animals that gave us attention. River talked about a new movie role he was thinking about taking, Billie Joe about his band.

There was a knock on the door. I got up and opened it. A chubby man with hair like Robert Smith stood on the other side.
"Hello." He waved. I waved back.
"Is Kurt here?" He asked.
"Who's asking?" I asked.
"Roger Osborne, you can call me Buzz. I'm a high school friend." He said. I opened the door further.
"He's currently in rehab, but you can come inside if you'd like." I said. He walked through the door and I shut it behind him. He sat on the empty couch.
"I know who you are." He said pointing at River and laughing.
"But who are you two?" He asked.
"I'm Billie Joe." He said. He nodded.
"And I'm Ruby, Kurt's wife." I added the last part.
"Oh nice. I thought he was married to Courtney Love." He said.
"He was." I smiled.

"Why are you here?" I asked him sitting on the couch beside him.
"I was wondering if Kurt would play some guitar on my band's album." He said quietly. I got up, pointing him to the kitchen. He followed me, closely. I punched in the number of Kurt's rehab and handed the phone to him.
"Just ask for him."

He nodded.