20

Kurt was a light sleeper. He woke up when you were in the room with him for more than 30 seconds. The delivery guys wheeled in a bunch of furniture and it was all in our living room. We had to move it around. We figured out what went where. Krist helped Kurt move our mattress up the stairs and I helped Dave with his. After all of our stuff was in its rightful places we worked on setting everything up. I helped Kurt put our bed together.
"Now, mattress." Kurt said as he stood up.
"Last time I checked my name is Ruby." I laughed. I helped him put the mattress on the bed. He was tired.
"Can we be done for today?" He collapsed on the bare mattress. I got out the sheets and pillows.
"In a minute." I said. He helped me out the sheets on and then he went to bed. I quietly put my clothes in the closet and decided to join him. I turned off the light and went to bed.

When I woke up Kurt was looking at me, smiling.
"What?" I asked sleepily.
"You're so pretty." He kept smiling as he grabbed my hand.
"Thank you, you're quite attractive yourself. " I laughed. He kept looking at me.
"You have a nice smile. I don't get to see it very often. Why is that?" I asked him.
"I don't usually have a reason to smile. But you make me smile like an idiot." He said.
"Why is that?" I asked.
"I don't know." He said looking away.
"Kurt Cobain you aren't a very good liar." I said sitting up. He laughed.
"I know." He kept smiling.
"It's because I like you." He added.
"I like you too." I said.
"We are literally 12 years old." He said pulling me close to him and wrapping his arm around me.

"Can you try to get clean for me? For Frances?" I asked. I felt him nod a bit.
"I'm already trying." He said. The phone rang. We heard footsteps approaching the kitchen. The ringing stopped and a few seconds later Dave yells for me. I got up and opened the door. He motioned for me to come into the kitchen. He handed me the phone.
"It's River." He whispered, and then winked. I hit him softly and then he went away.
"Hey." I said.
"Hi, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to hang out today?" He asked.
"Sure. What do you want to do?" I asked him.
"I don't know. Can I come over to your apartment?" He asked.
"Sure." I said, and I gave him the address. Right as he hung up and I started to walk away, the phone rang again.
"Hello?" I said.
"Is Krist Novoselic there?" The voice I recognized to be Billie Joe's said.
"No, he's asleep. It's Ruby, can I take a message?"
"Oh, Kurt's girlfriend. Uh yeah, when he wakes up you should tell him that we're in Oakland but we'll be there in about 6 hours." He said.
"Alright. Have a safe trip." I said as I hung up.

I was back in Kurt's bedroom, getting dressed when he woke up again.
"Well that's a nice way to wake up." He said to my half naked self. I rolled my eyes and laughed.
"You're a pervert." I said.
"No I'm not." He rolled his eyes back at me.
"River's coming over." I said as I put on my shirt casually.
"Oh." Kurt said. He laid back down and pushed his face into the pillow. I sat on our bed beside him and put my hand on his back.
"Kurt you can't be jealous, we aren't dating." I said.
"Not like that stops me from being jealous." He said angrily. I rubbed his back until River knocked on the door.
"Do you want to come downstairs with me?" I asked him. He nodded and followed me downstairs. He sat on the couch and I opened the door. The outcome was much less expected.
"Who are you?" I asked, it was so unexpected, I needed clarification. The woman smiled.