5

August was nearly over, the cold Washington weather started to seep through the summer.

Kurt and I were lounging around on the couch when we heard a frantic knock at the door. Kurt got up and opened it, it was Dave. He practically ran over Kurt to get inside. He was holding a piece of paper and a ripped envelope.

"Guess what?!" He said to Kurt.
"What?" Kurt said warily.
"Remember how we sent out a ton of letters to record companies a few months ago?" Dave asked, his eyes were bright.
"Yeah I do." Kurt said as he began to get excited.
"One of them wrote back!" Dave said. Kurt got up and hugged Dave tight.
"I'll call Krist." Kurt said. Dave sat down on the couch beside me.

"Have you ever thought about dyeing your hair?" He asked.
"Yeah I wanted to bleach it and dye it some crazy color." I said.
"That'd look good on you." He replied, focusing his attention on my dog again. He patted his lap and my dog came trotting over. He laid down on Dave's lap. I could hear a happy Kurt having a conversation with Krist. I reached over Dave and touched my dog's ears. Kurt came back and smiled really big once he saw us. Kurt strutted over and sat on my lap. I wrapped my arms around him and poked his tummy earning a giggle.

"What's happening?" David asked.
"This is normal at this point." I said as I burrowed my head into Kurt's back. He was slouching really bad.
"Hey you've never heard our music." Kurt said.
"No I haven't."
"Coincidentally I told Krist we were heading over to his house." Kurt said slyly.
"Kurt..." I said.
"What?" He said with a big smile.
"You're a pain... A lovable pain." I said.
"OOOH YOU LOVE KURT!" Dave said.
"Shut the hell up." I said to him. He gave me puppy dog eyes and I pinched his cheek
.
"Come on." Kurt said as he got up and put on his damaged converse. I followed and did the same. Dave sat there waiting for us to be ready.
"I call shotgun this time!" He yelled as he stuck out his tongue at me. He shot up and opened the door. He started to bolt to the car.

"I have the keys." Kurt said as he jingled them in his hand. I hopped on his back, because I could. He walked out to the car. Dave's hand was on the passenger door. Kurt hit unlock and Dave opened the door and dove into the seat. I got in the back and buckled my seat belt.

Kurt started the car and Dave fiddled with the radio. A local college station was playing Mudhoney. I leaned against the door as we drove to a different neighborhood. We came to a stop in front of an apartment building.
"Welcome to home of the Krist!" Dave giggled.
"I forgot to bring my guitar." Kurt said sadly.
"Don't be glum, chum. Krist has one. All will be okay." Dave said, putting his arm around a slouchy Kurt. We began to start towards the building. I was walking behind Kurt and Dave. They stopped in front of a first floor apartment and knocked. Footsteps began bounding toward the door and it swung open to reveal Krist. He pulled all three of us into a tight hug with his long arms before we could even get inside the door.

"Calm yourself." Dave said to annoy Krist. He let Kurt and I go but picked Dave up, hugging him tightly and backing into his house motioning for us to follow. I shut the door behind me. I inspected the front room. A leather couch and a warm looking lamp sat against the wall.
"Krist you have a guitar I can use?" Kurt asked.
"Yeah." He said as he left to go find the guitar. I sat down on the couch and Kurt followed.

"You have terrible posture." I said as he slouched next to me. He laughed and laid his head on my shoulder. I ran my fingers through his blonde hair. Krist came back with a black guitar. I couldn't name specifics, I wasn't a guitar person.
"Come to the practice room!" Krist shouted, he was only a few feet away but he had started walking. Kurt got up and grabbed my hand, helping me up. I followed him and Dave to a back room that was makeshift sound proofed with foam. There was a chair in the corner and I sat down. Dave made his way over to his drums and sat.
"What do you want to play?" Krist asked as he picked up his bass.
"School?" Kurt asked.
"Going back in time? Yeah sure." Krist said, and they began playing.

I looked up at them amazed.
"You guys are really good!" I said.
"Thanks. We just play how we want." Kurt said. They replaced their instruments in their rightful places.
"Want to watch a movie?" Krist asked.
"Sure." We all replied.
"You guys choose. I'll get cookies." Krist said.
"What about that civil war tape." Kurt said.
"No that's lame." Dave laughed.
"Hey that's mean!" Kurt said angrily.
"Sorry" Dave snickered. I sat there awkwardly waiting for Krist to get back and soothe the drama.
"Ruby, what do you want to watch, Beetlejuice or Ghostbusters." Dave asked.
"Ghostbusters." I replied. Kurt slid the tape in and the intro began playing. Krist came in and sat a plate of cookies on the table. All three of us were huddled on the floor in front of the TV.
"Don't sit so close it's bad for your eyes." Krist said.
"No it's not we'll be okay." I said to him. The phone began ringing. We all looked at each other.
"Ruby you get it." Kurt said. I nodded and got up. I followed the sound to the kitchen and saw a wall phone. I picked it up.
"Hello, this is the Novoselic household. Who's speaking?" I said.
"Hello I'm Billie Joe, Billie Joe Armstrong. Is Krist there? He was expecting a call from me regarding my band." The mystery man, now known as Billie spoke.
"Yes one second." I said as I put the phone to my chest.
"Krist it's for you!" I yelled to him. He got up and grabbed the phone from me.
"Who is it?" He whispered.
"Someone named Billie Joe." I replied. Krist began speaking on the phone and I went back to my spot on the floor.