41

Kathleen and I sat on Kurt's bed and talked about existence.
"Have you heard about third wave feminism?" She asked. I thought for a moment.
"Kurt spoke of your activism. And your zines and band. But aside from that, no." I said. She began to explain it to me, I felt enlightened.
"Punk was always a guys scene." I said. She nodded.
"We have to barge in and establish ourselves as equals." She smiled. I had figured out what I wanted to do.

"I want to start a band." I said. She raised an eyebrow.
"Can I help?" She asked. I nodded. "Gladly." I said. We spent the rest of the night getting to know each other as friends would. We ate popcorn and watched movies with cute boys in them. We did each other's hair and talked about feminism. Just your average tween slumber party that involved two girls, twice the age of 12.
"It's pretty rad having a friend that's a girl." I said.
"Yeah. Most girls think that having girlfriends causes drama, you just have to find the right ones I guess. Because all of my friends and myself preach girl love, because we're all fighting through this world together." She said.
"That's really rad. All of my friends have been guys since I moved here." I said.
"Where did you live before?" She asked.
"Nevada and then Chico." I said.
"Why'd you move?" She asked.
"Away from daddy issues." I laughed.
"And a psychotic ex girlfriend." I added. Slowly falling into a pit of sadness and anxiety. Kathleen noticed and hugged me. She was oddly touchy, I just assumed it was apart of the "girl love" thing. I laid back and pulled up the blankets. She did the same. She turned off the bedside lamp and I rolled over.
"Good night." Kathleen said.
"Good night." I said.

The next morning I woke up to Dave yelling for me. I got up and opened the door.
"Come here!" He yelled. I did. He hugged me and handed me the phone.
"Hello." I said.
"Hi." Kurt said happily.
"How are you doing?" I asked.
"Swell." He said sarcastically.
"It's wonderful here." He said unenthusiastically.

In Malibu, the walls were too thin and the gates were too low. Nothing could stop Kurt. Not locked doors or guards could stand in his way of coming home. He was back the same day with a knock on the door. Dave answered and hugged him.
"I could not stay there. Id rather get clean here with the people I love." He said as he looked over at me. He nearly ran towards me.
"God that was hard." He said as he held me close to him. I had a terrible feeling about all of this.