40

"I'll call home every day." He said as he hugged me.
"Good." I said sadly. He hugged me a bit tighter.
"I wish I could spend an extra 2 weeks with you but I can't." He gave me a sympathetic look.
"Here, keep this safe." He said as he took off his favorite sweater and gave it to me. He checked his watch.
"Hey, I've got to go." He said as he gave me a quick kiss and was off through the parking lot of our apartment, and into his car. I stood there feeling empty watching him drive away. It was for the best but I'd miss him. Dave came up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder. I sat on the ground by the door to our apartment and smoked a cigarette. Dave did the same.

We sat there quietly for a moment until Kathleen came out.
"I was wondering where you two were." She was as she sat down beside me.
"Do you want to go out to eat or something?" She asked. I nodded. Dave stood up and I did too. He hugged me tightly.
"Go have fun." He said quietly. I nodded. Kathleen got up and I haphazardly threw my cigarette in a puddle. We walked for a few blocks until we found some shitty fast food place and we went inside. When we were finished eating Kathleen looked over at me.
"Are you ok?" She asked.
"Who is?" I laughed. She nodded. We threw away our trash.
"Do you want to have a sleepover and act like we're 12?" She asked we walked out the door. She threw her arm around me.
"Yeah sure, why not." I smiled.
"Awesome." She said as we began walking home.

"Hey are you Kathleen Hanna?" A girl's voice said from behind us.
"Yeah." She said as she smiled.
"Why are you out here?" The girl asked.
"I'm here keeping my friend company while her boyfriend is on tour." She smiled. The girl nodded.
"I'm a huge fan of your work and your ideas. I think you're a genius." The girl said obviously amazed that she was in her idol's presence. Kathleen kept her arm around me whilst she had a conversation with this girl. I just wanted to go home, but it was for the good of this girl's impression of Kathleen. After they had their share of conversation the girl walked away and we got to go home.

"It's so nice meeting people who you've changed. How your ideas can change someone's perception on reality." She said as we walked in the door. I nodded.
"What do you do for a living?" She asked me.
"I babysit Kurt." I laughed. She laughed too, nervously.
"What would you like to do?" She said. I thought for a moment as I sat down on the couch. She followed me. There was so much room, but she sat down beside me and laid her head on my shoulder.
"I don't know what I want to be." I finally said.
"That's okay. You have awhile." She said.