35

River and I sat around all day. I was still shaken up from what had happened the night before.
"I'm bored." He sighed. I got up.
"I'm going to go smoke." I said. He nodded and followed me. We went out his door.
"Wanna take a walk?" He asked. I nodded. I lit my cigarette and we began walking aimlessly. Our hands collided a few times but nobody took the bold move to truly connect them. We walked for a bit.
"Maybe Kurt was right." River said.
"About what?" I said.
"We sort of have a love triangle." River said, looking down.
"I don't know how you feel about me, but I mean I don't know." He said. He seemed embarrassed.
"I just, can't deny my feelings for you. That's all." River said. I sighed.
"Well this is complicated." I said. He nodded. We found ourselves back at his house. We ignored each other for awhile. He sat in his room and I was watching tv. Finally about an hour later he sat on the couch beside me.
"Did I ruin any chance of friendship I had with you?" He asked.
"No of course not." I said. He nodded. He focused his eyes on the tv.
"I think you're a good guy." I said quietly. He smiled.
"Thanks."

River didn't seem to want me to leave his side since the incident. It was now getting dark, we had wasted the whole day on nothing. Not that I minded. I had decided to stay another night. River threw me a blanket, considering he wouldn't be mine like he was the night before. I turned on the tv and checked the clock. It was about 8, too early to go to bed. I was tired for no reason, I had no excuse. I watched tv until I eventually fell asleep.

Corin was asleep beside me as she has been many nights before. She breathed loudly, but steadily. Her eyes opened. She instantly smiled. Sickening.
"I was there when your mother kicked you out." I whispered to her.
"When the world gave you cold shoulders. When you left me here to rot so you could go away to Las Vegas.   And all I could do was watch from the nosebleed seats as you slowly began your descent to hell." I said angrily at her. She remained emotionless.
"Ruby." She said softly. And then I woke up.

River was standing above me.  The room was filled with light. He sat on the floor by the couch and rested his chin on my stomach. He stared blankly at the back of the couch for a bit.
"Something wrong?" He asked.
"Nah, it was just a dream." I said.
"Wanna talk about it?" He asked.
"Maybe later."I said as I sat up and patted the couch beside me. He got up and sat near me.
"Do you want to go see how Kurt's doing?" He asked.
"No, can I make a phone call?" I asked. I had an awful feeling. He nodded. I got up and went to his phone. I dialed the number I knew by heart.
"Ms. Wilson?" I asked to the person on the other end.
"Hello." She spoke softly. I recognized her voice.
"Who is this?" Corin's mother asked.
"Ruby, I know Corin." I said. Her mother bursted out crying.
"I'm sorry that you haven't heard." Her mother said through tears.
"You don't have to tell me, I have an idea." I said.
"She loved you so much." Her mother began. Sure explained why she abandoned me.
"I just... Feel so guilty about all of this. It's better to have a gay kid than a dead one. I wish I could've seen that before." Corin's mother said. I tried to stay calm.
"What happened?" I asked.
"Last night, she..." Her mother paused for a moment.
"I'm going to spare you of the details. But she passed while we were asleep." She said.
"I wish you and your family the best. I will try to come see you." I said.
"Okay, what's your address? I want to send you some things of her's." She said. I gave her my address and we said our goodbyes. I replaced the phone on the wall and walked into the living room. I sunk into River's couch. He put an arm around me.
"You don't have to tell me what happened. I just want you to know I'm here for you." He said. I nodded.
"I need Kurt." I said quietly.