18

This is long, merry Christmas/whatever you celebrate/ idk.

He stood there like a sultry god, attractive yet intimidating. I awoke again. Kurt at the door frame, his hair tangled and greasy. He was yet to put on a shirt. He looked angry.
"You told him." He said. I thought he was going to yell, he was in the same tone he always was.
"I had to." I said. I got up.
"Okay." He said. Going away from the door. I got up and put on my shoes. I wore the same clothes I had been wearing for the past week. I went outside. I forgot about Kurt and his addiction. I forgot about everything. I walked away from the apartment building. I had no clue where I was going and if I would be able to find my way back, and I didn't mind. I had my wallet. I walked into a coffee shop and ordered a cup. I sat in a table at the back. A guy with pretty long dark hair came in and ordered. He looked over at me a few times while they were making his. And I looked back. He came over and sat by me. He shook my hand from across the table.
"My name is River Phoenix." He said.
"My name is Ruby." I replied. He nodded.
"How are you this morning?" He asked.
"I'm alright. And you?" I asked.
"I'm surviving." He laughed.
"Where are you from?" He asked.
"I am from Chico but I've been living in Seattle for a bit. He nodded.
"I've been a little bit of everywhere." He smiled. We sat in a comfortable silence. We were out of coffee, and becoming bored with the environment.
"Wanna walk around a bit?" I asked.
"Yeah." He said getting up. We walked outside into the now chilly air.

"Why are you in Los Angeles?" I asked.
"I'm an actor, I decided to live among the rest." He said.
"I moved here with my friend and his band." I said. River stopped.
"Oh yeah! You're Kurt Cobain's new girl. That's where I recognized you from." He said.
"We're not dating." I said.
"Oh, sorry." He said.
"I door know what's going on with him." I sighed. We found ourselves in a park. We sat on a bench overlooking a small man made pond. River put his arm around me, and we talked for a few hours. We talked about our lives and about Kurt, about what we were doing over the weekend, our pets, our views, all of it.
"Want me to walk you home?" River asked.
"I don't exactly know where home is." I smiled sheepishly.
"Want to have a slumber party?" He said. He was so starry eyed and innocent.
"Sure." I laughed.
"I'll call Kurt in the morning." I added. As we walked back to River's apartment  he told be about his new movie. We walked through a parking lot and then into a nice building. He opened the door to reveal a comfortably messy living room. He motioned for me to sit on the couch.
"Do you want anything?" River asked.
"Nope, I'm fine." I said. River came back with a bottle of water. He turned on his tv and sat beside me.
"What do you want to watch?" He asked.
"I don't care." I smiled. He put it on some boring talk show and leaned against the arm of the couch. And a few minutes later I fell asleep. I woke up the next and River was in the kitchen. I got up and followed him.
"Good morning." He smiled. I nodded. I went over to his phone and called the house. Dave picked up.
"Who is this?" He asked.
"It's Ruby. "
"Where the hell have you been? We've been worried sick?" Dave sighed.
"It's a long story. I'm fine." I said.
"Okay, when are you going to be home?" I asked.
"Can you come get me?" I asked. And I have him River's address. Ten minutes later there was a knock. River got up and opened the door. It was Kurt.
"Hey Kurt." He said.  "Come in." He added.
"No, I have somewhere to be." Kurt said. He looked over at me and I got up. I wrote down our number on a piece of paper and went to hug River. He kissed my forehead and I left. We went outside and got in Kurt's car. He was silent. We drove home and once we were there Kurt didn't talk to me. I went up to our room and laid with my dog. A few hours later Kurt came in and sat with his legs crossed near me.

"Did anything happen with River?" He asked.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Did you guys have sex?" He asked.
"What? No." I said. He nodded.
"Just checking."